Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Can not install ncsdk2 in virtual machine with Ubuntu 18.04 as host.

idata
Employee

I am trying to install ncsdk2 in an Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine with Ubuntu 18.04 as host. The Official guide do not mentions this as tested. Since I have no mentioned OSs installed in my machine, decided to try my luck. But, resulted in the following error.

./uninstall-opencv.sh OpenCV uninstall starting [sudo] password for sreerag: Reading installer configuration variables from ./ncsdk.conf OpenCV uninstall finished make install starting. ./install.sh Movidius Neural Compute Toolkit Installation Installer NCSDK version: 2.10.01.01 Reading installer configuration variables from ./ncsdk.conf print_ncsdk_config() INSTALL_DIR - Main installation directory INSTALL_CAFFE - Flag to install TensorFlow CAFFE_FLAVOR - Specific 'flavor' of caffe to install CAFFE_USE_CUDA - Use CUDA enabled version of caffe INSTALL_TENSORFLOW - Flag to install TensorFlow INSTALL_TOOLKIT - Flag to install Neural Compute Toolkit PIP_SYSTEM_INSTALL - Globally install pip packages via sudo -H VERBOSE - Flag to enable more verbose installation USE_VIRTUALENV - Flag to enable python virtualenv MAKE_NJOBS - Number of processes to use for parallel build (i.e. make -j MAKE_NJOBS) INSTALL_DIR=/opt/movidius INSTALL_CAFFE=yes CAFFE_FLAVOR=ssd CAFFE_USE_CUDA=no INSTALL_TENSORFLOW=yes INSTALL_TOOLKIT=yes PIP_SYSTEM_INSTALL=yes VERBOSE=yes USE_VIRTUALENV=no MAKE_NJOBS=1 Didn't find a valid NCSDK installation Searching and removing previous NCSDK installation from the system Searching and removing NCS python API...done Searching and removing udev rules...done Running ldconfig...done Updating udev rules...done Successfully uninstalled NCSDK from the system Downloading NCSDK-2.10.01.01.tar.gz Installation failed: Command 'wget -q --no-cache -O NCSDK-2.10.01.01.tar.gz https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28532/eng/NCSDK-2.10.01.01.tar.gz' return code=4. Error on line 324 in ./install-utilities.sh. Will exit Makefile:47: recipe for target 'install' failed make: *** [install] Error 131

Is this an hint that the installation won't work with this combination of host and guest or something else?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi @sreerag_ibtl

I have not tested this setup before. What software are you using to create the virtual machine? I could give it a try and let you know my results.

Also, have you tried using docker? Take a look at the following link: https://movidius.github.io/ncsdk/docker.html

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Jesus_at_Intel I don't have any prior experience with docker. So let me ask, is it possible to install and run NCSDK in ubuntu 18.04 using a docker container.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @sreerag_ibtl

Good news! I was able to install the NCSDK on an Ubuntu 16.04 Virtual Machine (Guest) running on an Ubuntu 18.04 (Host).

Looking at your error: Command 'wget -q --no-cache -O NCSDK-2.10.01.01.tar.gz https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28532/eng/NCSDK-2.10.01.01.tar.gz' return code=4., it appears to be a network issue with your VM. Could you check your network settings and make sure you can ping google or our download page?

ping downloadcenter.intel.com

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos