Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Error - MacOs - Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

blechatellier
Beginner

Hi, running openvino_2019.3.334 on MacOS with the Neural Compute Stick 2 and running into an error running the squeeznet demo.

[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:

API version ............ 2.1

Build .................. 30677

Description ....... API

[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters

[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters

[ INFO ] Files were added: 1

[ INFO ] Creating Inference Engine

MYRIAD

myriadPlugin version ......... 2.1

Build ........... 30677

[ INFO ] Loading network files

[ INFO ] Preparing input blobs

[ WARNING ] Image is resized from (787, 259) to (227, 227)

[ INFO ] Batch size is 1

[ INFO ] Loading model to the device

[ ERROR ] Can not init Myriad device: NC_ERROR

Error on or near line 239; exiting with status 1

0 Kudos
30 Replies
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello,

The device will reboot when the model is loaded and will reconnect as "VSC Loopback Device". The OpenVINO will run inference while the device is in this mode, however, there is something installed on the machine that is conflicting with the device.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello blechatellier, 

I'm contacting you to give a follow up on this case. Could you please tell me if the issue is solved? 

I will help you further with any other questions you may have. 

Regards, 

Mauricio R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner
0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello,

Are there any other SDK environments that may be set up or other versions of Python installed? In addition, could you try the new OpenVINO release R3.1, please?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hi, blechatellier,

I hope you are doing well. I was checking your case and I noticed we do not have a reply from you yet.

Is there anything else we can help you with?

Regards,

Mauricio R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

Still running into the same issue with the latest version of openvino. As soon as I run the demo app I get "E: [ncAPI] [  393744] [] ncDeviceOpen:859 Device doesn't appear after boot".

Then the device disappears from the list when using "system_profiler SPUSBDataType". I have to remove the device and replug.

That's very frustrating, any resolution in mind?

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello, 

We have tested multiple Mac systems with OpenVINO 2019 R3.1 and we have not been able to replicate the same behavior you are seeing. We understand your frustration and we are doing our best on finding a resolution to your issue. I have confirmed you have all the required software versions installed, which leads us to believe there may be other software installed on the system that may be conflicting with the OpenVINO toolkit and the Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2. 

As a last resort, you can try testing on a fresh install of Mac OS X. Our systems had a fresh install of macOS which worked for us, but we cannot assure you this will fix your issue. 

Thank you for your comprehension. 

0 Kudos
blechatellier
Beginner

I've already tested on multiple computers so it's unlikely that another software is conflicting, do you have any debug tool that could help understand why the USB device gets ejected after running the sample app?

0 Kudos
MAURICIOAL_R_Intel

Hello,

unfortunately, we do not have any tools available. We are going to keep searching if there could be another solution for your case. We will contact you as soon as possible with the response.

Thank you for your time,

Mauricio R.   

Intel Customer Support Technician   

A Contingent Worker at Intel. 

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi blechatellier,

Thank you for your patience while we looked further into your request. I tested the Intel Neural Compute Stick 2 on a fresh MacOS X Mojave install and did not have any issues running the demos.

One thing I did notice is that your system_profiler SPUSBDataType output shows the Intel NCS 2 is connected to a USB 2.0 hub. The Intel NCS 2 needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port, could you try connecting the device directly and confirm it's detected under USB 3.0?

Also, please try to match the following software versions.

• CMake 3.15.5
  • Python 3.6.5
  • Apple Xcode Command Line Tools 11.2

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos