Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

How much memory is available in NCS 2 (how large model can fit into)

Yang__Yuchen
Beginner

Hi,

I am transfering a detection model to the NCS 2, the .bin file is about 100M. Input image size is 640x640. It works fine with my corei7 gen7 CPU (FP32), when I send it to NCS 2 (FP16), it gives me following error:

E: [xLink] [    941796] dispatcherEventSend:955    Write failed event -4

E: [xLink] [    941796] handleIncomingEvent:300    handleIncomingEvent() Read failed -4

E: [xLink] [    941797] dispatcherEventReceive:368    dispatcherEventReceive() Read failed -4 | event 0x7f260b7fdee0 XLINK_WRITE_REQ

E: [xLink] [    941797] eventReader:230    eventReader stopped
E: [xLink] [    941797] XLinkReadDataWithTimeOut:1377    Event data is invalid
E: [ncAPI] [    941797] ncGraphAllocate:1784    Can't read input tensor descriptors of the graph, rc: X_LINK_ERRORE: [watchdog] [    941797] sendPingMessage:132Failed send ping message: X_LINK_ERROR

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "object_detection_demo_ssd_async.py", line 194, in <module>
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "object_detection_demo_ssd_async.py", line 81, in main
    exec_net = plugin.load(network=net, num_requests=2)
  File "ie_api.pyx", line 395, in openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IEPlugin.load
  File "ie_api.pyx", line 406, in openvino.inference_engine.ie_api.IEPlugin.load
RuntimeError: Failed to allocate graph: NC_ERROR

I suspect it runs out memory to allocate (ncgraph allocate error), since it works well with other provided SSD detection model(smaller model).

In addition, I didn't find any related parameters about the memory for NCS2 in official documents. Though there are people (https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/1351/how-much-memory-does-the-movidius-neural-compute-stick-2-have) saying 320MB, but apparently  I cannot run a model with 100MB large. Or because it is a detection problem, and the image size itself occupies lots of memory as well?

The xml, bin, and mapping files I used can be found in here (The data_type = FP16, the plugin is NCS2), feel free to try :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pn8fTfPkc2uGAbx2tuoxejToj-PqpPcv

It is a SSD based detector.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi Yuchen,

Thanks for reaching out! Can you please provide some additional information: 

1. What command did you use to convert to IR?
  2. Can you please provide your model so I can convert and try again.
  3. You said the network is an SSD based detector - can you provide more information about the network? (is it one of the networks listed here?

Best Regards,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
Yang__Yuchen
Beginner

Hi Sahira,

The model I converted can be download through link

My command for converting the model is:

sudo python3 ./model_optimizer/mo_tf.py --input_model=<Dir>/ssd_resnet50_v1_fpn_shared_box_predictor_640x640_coco14_sync_2018_07_03/frozen_inference_graph.pb --tensorflow_use_custom_operations_config ./model_optimizer/extensions/front/tf/ssd_v2_support.json --tensorflow_object_detection_api_pipeline_config <Dir>/ssd_resnet50_v1_fpn_shared_box_predictor_640x640_coco14_sync_2018_07_03/pipeline.config --reverse_input_channels --data_type FP16

And I test it using the modified object_detection_demo_ssd_async.py for single image.

python3 object_detection_demo_ssd_async.py -m <Dir>/ssd_v2_for_retina_FP16/frozen_inference_graph.xml -i <dir>/car_1.bmp -d MYRIAD

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi Yuchen,

The network you are trying to use is not currently supported by the Myriad plugin, you can find a list of the supported networks in the link https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/_docs_IE_DG_supported_plugins_MYRIAD.html. 

Sincerely,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
Yang__Yuchen
Beginner

Hi Sahira,

It is said in OpenVINO™ 2018 R5 Release note, that you support the Retinanet I gave above.

Or this retinanet is only supported by CPU?

Will retinanet be supported in the future release?

Best,

Yuchen

0 Kudos