Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

How to set specified VPU (Myriad X) id in C++?

ABoch5
Beginner

If I have several connected Myriad X VPUs, how can I set specified Device_id in C++?

1. In general, if I want to use multi-stick computation from one application, should I select different VPU device_id's and create network?
  2. Or should I just create 2 Networks and they will be allocated on two difference VPUs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Aroop_B_Intel
Employee

Hi ABoch5,

1. In general, if I want to use multi-stick computation from one application, should I select different VPU device_id's and create network?

No, the OpenVINO tooklit application will automatically manage the workload for multiple NCS devices, so there is no need to select different VPU device_id's. You can just make one PlugIn instance that will manage all the MYRIAD devices on your system.

2. Or should I just create 2 Networks and they will be allocated on two difference VPUs?

Yes, for maximum performance, you should create an ExecutableNetwork instance for each device. Note: it is not possible to tie each network directly to each device.

Take a look at the "Multiple NCS Devices" section of this webpage for more information: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/transitioning-from-intel-movidius-neural-compute-sdk-to-openvino-toolkit

Regards,

Aroop

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Aroop_B_Intel
Employee

Hi ABoch5,

No, the OpenVINO tooklit application will automatically manage the workload for multiple NCS devices, so there is no need to select different VPU device_id's. You can just make one PlugIn instance that will manage all the MYRIAD devices on your system.

Yes, for maximum performance, you should create an ExecutableNetwork instance for each device. Note: it is not possible to tie each network directly to each device.

Take a look at the "Multiple NCS Devices" section of this webpage for more information: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/transitioning-from-intel-movidius-neural-compute-sdk-to-openvino-toolkit

Regards,

Aroop

0 Kudos
ABoch5
Beginner

Thanks!

I changed this code: https://github.com/opencv/open_model_zoo/blob/e458c1f0407d0303e36be4828bb963a67d6d050a/demos/object_detection_demo_yolov3_async/main.cpp#L287-L293

ExecutableNetwork network = plugin.LoadNetwork(netReader.getNetwork(), {});   // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   // --------------------------- 5. Creating infer request ----------------------------------------------- InferRequest::Ptr async_infer_request_next = network.CreateInferRequestPtr(); InferRequest::Ptr async_infer_request_curr = network.CreateInferRequestPtr();

to this code:

ExecutableNetwork network = plugin.LoadNetwork(netReader.getNetwork(), {}); ExecutableNetwork network2 = plugin.LoadNetwork(netReader.getNetwork(), {});   // -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   // --------------------------- 5. Creating infer request ----------------------------------------------- InferRequest::Ptr async_infer_request_next = network2.CreateInferRequestPtr(); InferRequest::Ptr async_infer_request_curr = network.CreateInferRequestPtr();

Then run application object_detection_demo_yolov3_async and press TAB for async execution.

But it did not speed up the execution.

How can I see usage (in %) for each VPU?

0 Kudos
Aroop_B_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I just responded to your question in the new thread you opened.

Regards,

Aroop

0 Kudos