Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6441 Discussions

How to use NPU in Robotics SDK(OpenVino 2023.2.0)

aaa24
Beginner

I tried setting CPU or GPU in pipeline_object.yaml and it worked fine.

But how do I set the NPU in this file?

pipeline_object.yamlpipeline_object.yaml

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Aznie_Intel

Hi aaa24,

Thanks for reaching out. You can set the engine as NPU the same way as you set for GPU and CPU. However, the Intel® NPU device requires a proper driver to be installed in the system. Make sure you use the most recent supported driver for your hardware setup. Refer to these Configurations for Intel® NPU with OpenVINO. Note that the NPU plugin is currently available only with the Archive distribution of OpenVINO™. Refer to this NPU Device for the supported platforms and Limitation with NPU.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
aaa24
Beginner

Thank you for your quick reply.

Openvino itself worked fine on NPU, but the main thing I want to ask is whether the ROS2 version of openvino supports the NPU parameter.

After we change the yaml parameter to NPU, errors such as the NPU parameter does not exist will be displayed.

From the ros_openvino documentation it seems that only supports CPU|GPU|MARIAD|HETERO, does the current version support NPU? or have another suggest? thank you.

https://github.com/intel/ros2_openvino_toolkit

0 Kudos
aaa24
Beginner

the error message:

error messageerror message

0 Kudos
Aznie_Intel

Hi aaa24,

Intel Distribution of OpenVINO toolkit has not been officially validated with ROS frameworks. Based on this Intel ROS Tutorial, it is only supported for heterogeneous execution across computer vision accelerators—CPU, GPU, Intel® Movidius™ Neural Compute Stick, and FPGA. The NPU plugin is not yet supported.

Regards,

Aznie 

0 Kudos
Aznie_Intel

Hi aaa24,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided information. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos