Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

[IE sample][Error] memory allocation failed: exceeded global device memory

Junwei_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I tried to to execute the segmentation sample with my own network on NUC, and it can successfully generated the output. However when I tried to execute the program on an Intel(R) VCA node, it prompted me with the error "memory allocation failed: exceeded global device memory". The graphics model of my NUC is Intel(R) Iris Pro Graphics 580 (Skylake GT4e) with 256 MB of memory size, and the graphics model of the VCA node is Intel(R) Iris Pro Graphics P580 with the same memory size.

I don't think the issue is caused by the size of my network model, as the program still works even after I changed the size of input image from 640*480 to 2048*1024. I also googled the error code but there doesn't seem to be similar issues. I have attached the model I used, custom kernel I implemented, as well as the main.cpp that I modified from the original file in the segmentation sample.

The intention for me to modify the main program of segmentation sample is that, as I can see the ArgMax operation is included in the sample and executed on CPU, I implemented the OpenCL kernel for ArgMax and moved the operation to be part of the network model, and such change achieved significant performance boost from 220 ms to 160 ms on my NUC.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Junwei,

This is a bug and it is being investigated. I will update you with the outcome of when the fix can be rolled in the next release or a workaround if available.

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
GUY_T_Intel
Employee

I have the same issue. Running on VCA2, CentOS.

Please note that the OpenCL driver is getting no mem allocation..

I believe the issue is not with the sample (all of them fail) but the driver.

clinfo.. give

"Global memory size                              0"

0 Kudos
rongrong__wang
Beginner

Hello, I also meet this problem using GPU. Have you solved this problem.Thank you!

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear rongrong, wang

This is a rather old thread. Can you tell me exactly what problem you are having ? It sounds like an OpenCL or graphics driver issue, which would be better served by posting to the following communities:

OpenCL forum

Intel Graphics Forum

This forum is dedicated to OpenVino (Model Optimizer and Inference Engine).

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos