Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Installation under VirtualBox?

idata
Employee

Hello,

I am trying to get the Movidius NCS SDK running under VirtualBox. I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 and also the VirtualBox USB extension (only for version 5 or higher…) that supports USB 3.0, and I have enabled USB 3.0 support. I can mount an NCS stick (eg by selecting the device in the Devices menu) and it shows up when I do lsusb (with USB ID 040e:f63b MCCI). It also seems I can use other USB 3.0 devices. Unfortunately… when I do "make example01" I get the following output:

echo "example01 - GoogleNet profiling" example01 - GoogleNet profiling python3 ./mvNCProfile.pyc data/googlenet.prototxt -s 12 mvNCProfile v02.00, Copyright @ Movidius Ltd 2016 [Error 7] Toolkit Error: USB Failure. Code: No devices found

I do have another laptop that I can boot into Ubuntu 16.04 directly (and I've managed to get the Movidius SDK running on that machines and several other Ubuntu machines) but I'd like to avoid having to carry around two laptops. My Windows 10 machine is a managed corporate laptop and I don't have the option to install a dual-boot configuration.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Is this impossible? Is there another VM solution that is known to work?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

In case it helps someone. I have macbook air and struggled to get this working. Then I've added the apple USB host controller and one stick started to work. Then I noticed another stick appeared as a loopback device which I also added. I wanted to get multistick example working but only one stick was functioning properly. Then I noticed that the loopback device that appeared earlier on is tied to an individual serial number so after I have added the second one everything worked fine. Hope this helps and sorry for vague description. I am still a bit confused as to how exactly I got it working.

0 Kudos