Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6386 Discussions

Installing movidius ncs software under a python virtual environment

idata
Employee

Is it possible to install movidius ncs software under a python virtual environment? caffe and opencv could be installed in the machine but i want to install all the other libraries in a virtual environment of python.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

@eisusquiza At the moment, the NCSDK is not compatible with virtual environment software like VirtualEnv. Although we cannot provide an ETA, we are aware of the demand for this feature and are working on a release candidate for a future release. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@eisusquiza

I am also tried to install movidius(mainly MVNC library) on python virutal environment. And I find I cannot succeed in "make install" except I added a SUDO command.

Now, I have solved the problem.

Firstly, I create a python virtual environment by the command conda create --name tf-gpu by Anaconda.

Secondly, you can activate the virtual environment by the command source activate tf-gpu, and I plan to install related libiraries in this environment.

Then, You can find a folder in "/opt/movidius/NCSDK/ncsdk-x86_64", and you can install mvnc library by this folder.

cd ncsdk-x86_64/ pip install --upgrade --force-reinstall api cd api/ python setup.py install

And after that, you can see

/home/dongdong/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py:355: UserWarning: Normalizing '1.12.00.01' to '1.12.0.1' normalized_version, running install running bdist_egg running egg_info writing top-level names to mvnc.egg-info/top_level.txt writing dependency_links to mvnc.egg-info/dependency_links.txt writing mvnc.egg-info/PKG-INFO reading manifest file 'mvnc.egg-info/SOURCES.txt' writing manifest file 'mvnc.egg-info/SOURCES.txt' installing library code to build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg running install_lib running build_py creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mvnc copying build/lib/mvnc/__init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mvnc copying build/lib/mvnc/mvncapi.py -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mvnc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mvnc/__init__.py to __init__.cpython-35.pyc byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/mvnc/mvncapi.py to mvncapi.cpython-35.pyc creating build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/EGG-INFO copying mvnc.egg-info/PKG-INFO -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/EGG-INFO copying mvnc.egg-info/SOURCES.txt -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/EGG-INFO copying mvnc.egg-info/dependency_links.txt -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/EGG-INFO copying mvnc.egg-info/top_level.txt -> build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/EGG-INFO zip_safe flag not set; analyzing archive contents... creating 'dist/mvnc-1.12.0.1-py3.5.egg' and adding 'build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg' to it removing 'build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg' (and everything under it) Processing mvnc-1.12.0.1-py3.5.egg Copying mvnc-1.12.0.1-py3.5.egg to /home/dongdong/anaconda3/envs/tf-gpu/lib/python3.5/site-packages Adding mvnc 1.12.0.1 to easy-install.pth file Installed /home/dongdong/anaconda3/envs/tf-gpu/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mvnc-1.12.0.1-py3.5.egg Processing dependencies for mvnc==1.12.0.1 Finished processing dependencies for mvnc==1.12.0.1
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks @DongDong, it works great. I did run into some problems when using latest version of pip (10.0.1) but it works fine with previous versions so I recommend doing:

conda create --name tf-gpu pip=9.0.3

It would have been great if there was a similar isolated way for compiling the mvnc* binary files.

0 Kudos