Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

MULTI plug-in performance

Mostafa-
Employee

As per my understanding. The potential gains with the Multi-Device plugin are:

• Improved throughput from using multiple devices (compared to single-device execution)

• More consistent performance, since the devices share the inference burden (if one device is too busy, another can take more of the load)

But when I tried benchmark app in Devcloud for the edge, I found its always MULTI plugin has the lowest throughput compared to CPU and iGPU!

May be there's something I don't understand well, Can you elaborate more why that happening, and how to get the most out of MULTI plugin to get the highest throughput?

Many Thanks,

Mostafa

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hi Mostafa,

Thanks for sharing your concise findings with us.

I tried running Benchmark App with FP16 model on my local machine (Intel Core i7-8665U, Intel UHD Graphics 620). Based on my results, GPU always have the best performance, followed by MULTI:CPU,GPU and CPU.

Besides, I also noticed that the documentation mentioned that the performance of accelerators combines really well with Multi-Device, the CPU+GPU execution poses some performance caveats, as these devices share the power, bandwidth and other resources. Hence, please try running the Benchmark App again with FP16 model on MULTI:HDDL,CPU or MULTI:HDDL,GPU and share the results with us.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Mostafa,

Thank you for your question. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread is no longer being monitored. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos