Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

OpenVINO Deployment Manager - Usage Clarification

MPick4
Innovator

Can I please ask for clarification as to whether the OpenVINO Deployment Manager is expected to deploy a built application as well as all required dependencies. In particular, is the installation of Python, the Intel C++ Compiler Runtime, or the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package a required prerequisite before installing the package created by the Intel OpenVINO Deployment Manager? If so, why? Especially, why would Python be required to deploy a compiled application? And at the very least, why couldn't the Intel C++ Compiler Runtime be included automatically in the deployment package? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SIRIGIRI_V_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael,

The OpenVINO Deployment Manager is not an end-to-end tool for deploying the application. Please install the required dependencies manually.

As per the documentation, python3.6 or higher is required as a pre-requisite.

Regards,

Ram prasad

0 Kudos
MPick4
Innovator

This is simply unacceptable. Given its current state and the lack of documentation about the external dependencies that still must be installed manually, the Deployment Manager is a waste of time. It would be a much better use of resources to simply provide clear documentation on the dependencies that must be met in order to install any OpenVINO application, and point out that there is a free tool available for Visual Studio for Windows (Visual Studio itself already being a dependency of OpenVINO anyway) that can be used to generate a Windows installer package, including managing environment variables and installing required dependency packages such as all those already listed.

I'm happy to help with building this documentation if it would help!

0 Kudos
HemanthKum_G_Intel

Hi Michael,

As of now, the deployment manager is in its initial stage which quickly binds only the OpenVINO libraries to help the developers by serving as a handy tool. But it is neutral across supported windows & Linux for supported target devices (CPU, GPU, NCS2, VPU). As the options are a more, the generalization and end to end deployment mechanism become challenge.

Your inputs are valuable for us and I communicated that to the respective development team. 

Thank you for the suggestions for making OpenVINO a better product!!

0 Kudos
Celi__Joseph
Beginner

Regarding Michael's comment above I have to agree.  Intel needs to do a better job of listing the prereq's.  What are the runtime shared objects required, what are the environment variables required to build and run different pieces of the total platform. The makefiles for sample programs are overly complicated requiring environment variables that are set by a nested set of scripts.  A developer should be able to build and run a stand alone application using a simple makefile.  I realize this may not be the correct place for this particular comment but after reading Michael's comment and most probably experiencing the same level of frustration about the lack of documentation for dependencies and overly complex build, deployment and runtime prereqs, I figured maybe if enough people put this issue forward something would be done and the community would benefit.

0 Kudos