Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Performance (FPS) of security barrier camera sample

junyi
Beginner

Hi,

I have one question about performance in security barrier camera sample

When I'm running sample on CPU ( I5-2400 ) and MYRIAD ( Movidius NCS ) with following command

MYRIAD

/opt/inference_engine_samples/intel64/Release/security_barrier_camera_sample -d MYRIAD -d_va MYRIAD -d_lpr MYRIAD -i car_1.bmp -m /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106/FP16/vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106.xml -m_va /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/vehicle-attributes-recognition-barrier-0039/FP16/vehicle-attributes-recognition-barrier-0039.xml -m_lpr /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/license-plate-recognition-barrier-0001/FP16/license-plate-recognition-barrier-0001.xml

CPU

/opt/inference_engine_samples/intel64/Release/security_barrier_camera_sample -d CPU -d_va CPU -d_lpr CPU -i car_1.bmp -m /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106/FP32/vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106.xml -m_va /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/vehicle-attributes-recognition-barrier-0039/FP32/vehicle-attributes-recognition-barrier-0039.xml -m_lpr /opt/intel/computer_vision_sdk/deployment_tools/demo/../intel_models/license-plate-recognition-barrier-0001/FP32/license-plate-recognition-barrier-0001.xml

I'm seeing lower fps on MYRIAD compare to CPU ( 11.90fps vs 57.61fps )

So my question is this result reasonable?

Screenshot from 2018-09-25 20-40-44.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sergei_N_Intel
Employee

Your measurements reasonably align with our internal measurements, so I'd say it looks fine. There is, in fact, ~5x difference in absolute performance, but to put it into perspective, you have to consider power consumption as well. Your i5-2400 "eats" about 65 watts of power, while NCS stick eats slightly more than 1 watt. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sergei_N_Intel
Employee

Your measurements reasonably align with our internal measurements, so I'd say it looks fine. There is, in fact, ~5x difference in absolute performance, but to put it into perspective, you have to consider power consumption as well. Your i5-2400 "eats" about 65 watts of power, while NCS stick eats slightly more than 1 watt. 

0 Kudos
Kao__Wen
Beginner

Sergei, I am less concern of the power consumption in my application, but speed, so after reading your reply i am wondering if Movidius is the right platform for me.  What are the key benefits/main application for Movidius?   Drone running on limited power (Li-ion battery)?

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Wen,

That is correct. You can take a look here on this page to see more applications they handle. Generally, they handle Ultra-low power usecases as Sergei mentioned above.

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos