Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ : Full SDK install or API only?

idata
Employee

Hello!

I'm thinking of installing the full version of the latest SDK release on my Raspberry Pi, but have read in multiple places that it is easier and quicker to install the API only, and do all development on a PC in an Ubuntu environment.

This makes sense, but I just wanted to double check that this was the correct way forwards? I've already wasted a lot of time trying to get the Examples working with a full SDK install on the Pi, and would like to make some progress ;)

Best Regards

Mark
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

"make api" in the ncsdk directory resulted in a fatal error:

/home/pi/ncsdk/api/src/common/components/XLink/pc/usb_boot.c:38:20: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or catalog

#include

Any tips? Do I need to manually install the dependancies here?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello!

You should install the development package for the version of the library you are using.

E.g. if you are using _libusb-1.0.0_, then you should install _libusb-1.0-0-dev_.

Regards,

Marcin
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@MarkWest1972 You should be able to do API only mode and full NCSDK install on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ if you are using Raspian Stretch. If you are using the latest NCSDK, make sure to install cython3 using pip3 first, then do a make install. The install process on a Pi can take a long time and if it crashes, you may need to pull the plug and continue the installation using make install again. The reason it takes a long time is because it needs to build Caffe and OpenCV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, thanks! I'm heading to the mountains for a week now, but will try again when I get back!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel Does that mean, increasing swap size is preferred also for api-only mode installation, similar to full sdk installation?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @sreerag_ibtl

I have done the API-only installation on my RPI3 and did not _need_ to increase swapfile size for a successful installation. However, it is recommended you do so just in case.

Regards,

Sahira
0 Kudos