Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Running Hello Query Sample.py in VS2019

NetSpin28
Beginner

I am trying to run the hello_query_device.py sample from within VS2019.

When it gets to the statement on line 2:

from openvino.inference_engine import IECore

it throws an error: no module named 'openvino'

I am using PYthon 3.7, and this environment has openvino(2021.2) loaded.

I know it's probably something to do with the environmenet variable but I don't see any references to loading and environment variable to find openvino if you are using VS2019.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

Indeed, you need to run the setupvars in the interface that you are using(eg:cmd or visual studio terminal,etc).

Otherwise, you won't be able to do inferencing or even run a simple demo as the OpenVINO packages are not linked together as per setupvars function.

Sincerely,

Iffa

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Iffa_Intel

Greetings,

This is how you can create your own project in OpenVINO suing visual studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_YYanhE2I

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
NetSpin28
Beginner
Iffa,
Thank you for your kind reply.
The video is very informative.
I work in Python. There is a python Hello_Query_Device sample but no instructions on how to build it. The instructions stop at building the C++ samples. I can bring the .py files into a VS2019 project that I created but when I try and run it, it can find an openvino module, even though it does exist in my environment as shown below:
NetSpin28_0-1612888532958.png

There are no solution files in my directories for openvino.

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

For Python samples or demos you should be able to run as it is compiled through an interpreter unlike the C++ which is pre-compiled.

You may refer here: https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/openvino_inference_engine_ie_bridges_python_sample_hello_query_device_README.html

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
NetSpin28
Beginner

Iffa,

Thank you for your kind reply. I realize it's like teaching string theory to a five year old but I feel I have made some progress. Running the Hello_Query sample in a command window gives the same result as running it from VS2029. It hits the "import openvino" statement and throws an error "no module openvino found" attached please find a copy of the text in the command window.

regards,

netspin

0 Kudos
NetSpin28
Beginner

Eureka! Surprise to no one. If I run setupvars.bat in the same command window before running the sample hello_query_device.py, it runs fine generating a whole bunch of output I have yet to interpret. When I connect my Neural Compute Stick 2, it also detects that as a Myriad device.

Now all I have to figure out is how to do the same thing inside of Visual Studio 2019.

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

Indeed, you need to run the setupvars in the interface that you are using(eg:cmd or visual studio terminal,etc).

Otherwise, you won't be able to do inferencing or even run a simple demo as the OpenVINO packages are not linked together as per setupvars function.

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
NetSpin28
Beginner

Iffa,

thank you for your kind reply.

what i realize now is that I can use VS2019 as my IDE to construct the python programs using calls to openvino. The programs then need to be run in a command window following calls to setupvars.bat, or demo_speech_recognition.bat, whatever is appropriate.

Thank you for your assistance.

I will mark this as closed.

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Greetings,

Glad to hear that.

Intel will no longer monitor this thread since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos