Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

USB hub

idata
Employee

Please advise me about USB3.0 hub appears on NCS press photo. Or need recommendation of USB hub the company tested. Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

@harryshirakawa most brand name hubs work well with the NCS, just make sure it is a powered hub if you plan to connect other USB devices to the hub along with the NCS. I use Amazon basics USB 3.0 powered hub on my bench, I've also used hubs from Anker.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the answer, it looked thicker than usual USB stick devices, then I wondered if there is some mechanical listrictions attaching to the hub. (when those 4 NCSs are plugged into the hub)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@harryshirakawa you are spot-on about the mechanical restrictions for connecting multiple units. When I work with multiple devices, I either use a square hub that has ports on each side or I use alternate ports on a multi port hub.

iamintel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @"Ashwin Vijayakumar" just to make sure I'm clear on this. Does it need to be a powered hub if I was using more than 1 NCSs and only NCSs on the hub? Also would it need to be DC power, or would just a second USB cable power be acceptable?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@mpawel The NCS is a USB 3.0 device which is backward compatible to USB 2.0 specifications, so just make sure that each of the ports to which you have connected the NCS adheres to (or exceeds) USB 2.0 specs. i.e. 500mA @ 5V. On my bench I always use a powered USB HUB when connecting multiple NCS, but when using only one NCS I plug it directly to my systems’ USB 2.0 or 3.0 port.

iamintel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@AshwinVijayakumar Wonderful. Thank you for all the help. Looking forward to getting my NCS soon.

0 Kudos