Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

Unable to configure neural computing stick 2 on ubuntu 18.04 openvino 2020.3

KKiran
Novice

I am following the instructions given here in the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/guide/get-started-with-neural-compute-stick.html 

At step 4 when I run the commands given in the above link, I am getting the following error: 

"/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libprotobuf.a(arena.o): relocation R_X86_64_TPOFF32 against hidden symbol `_ZN6google8protobuf5Arena13thread_cache_E' can not be used when making a shared object
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libprotobuf.a(descriptor.o): relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `_ZNSt6vectorINSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEESaIS5_EED1Ev' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status"

also getting the error message "Failed building wheel for onnx"

finally an error message like this is being displayed "Command "/usr/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-_8iyzok9/onnx/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-oevpy1a0-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-_8iyzok9/onnx/
++ error 92
++ local code=1
++ [[ -n '' ]]
++ echo 'Error on or near line 92; exiting with status 1'
Error on or near line 92; exiting with status 1"

My system configuration: Ubuntu 18.04, Openvino 2020 R3.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peh_Intel

Hi Kiran,

Please try to install the latest protobuf by referring to these instructions.

Besides, instead of running install_prerequisites.sh, perhaps you can try to configure each framework separately.

sudo ./install_prerequisites_caffe.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_kaldi.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_mxnet.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_onnx.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_tf.sh

Furthermore, you can refer to our official documentation as provided more information compared to the article.

Regards,

Peh

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi KKiran,

Thanks for posting your concern on the forum. Since your query is related to the Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 and OpenVINO™, we are moving this topic to the 'Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit' community for further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

Peh_Intel

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I was unable to reproduce your issue. Hence, it might require several trials to solve this issue.

There are several steps being carried out when running demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh. I would like to know the error encountered in which part. Perhaps you may point me at which line the demo fails with the error from here.

If the demo fails at the cmake (Line 205), try re-compile with -fPIC.

Modify Line 205 in demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fPIC" $samples_path

Regards,

Peh

KKiran
Novice

Dear Peh,

Thank you for taking time to answer. Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue. I am getting error at the time of executing the following command at step 4 given in the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/guide/get-started-with-neural-compute-stick.html 

cd ~/intel/openvino/deployment_tools/model_optimizer/install_prerequisites/
./install_prerequisites.sh

I've modified as you told above "

Modify Line 205 in demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fPIC" $samples_path

"

I am still getting the same error.

Thank You,

With Regards,

Kiran

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Kiran,

Please try to install the latest protobuf by referring to these instructions.

Besides, instead of running install_prerequisites.sh, perhaps you can try to configure each framework separately.

sudo ./install_prerequisites_caffe.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_kaldi.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_mxnet.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_onnx.sh

sudo ./install_prerequisites_tf.sh

Furthermore, you can refer to our official documentation as provided more information compared to the article.

Regards,

Peh

KKiran
Novice

Dear Peh,

Thanks a lot for taking time and replying for my question. I am happy to inform you that your solution worked. 

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Kiran,

I am glad to hear you are running well now. So, re-install the protobuf manually solved your previous issues?

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
KKiran
Novice

Dear Peh,

Yes installing protobuf manually and installing all the models one by one solved the issue.

Thank You so much once again for helping.

With Regards

Kiran

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Kiran,

I was my pleasure to help and thank you for confirming your problem is resolved.

This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos