Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

VPU configuration with PyIP installed openvino-dev

Remni
Beginner

I have UP AI Edge expansion board with Intel Movidius Myriad X VPU. I want to use it with OpenVINO in Ubuntu 20.04. After installing OpenVINO Development tools using PyPI and virtual environment (I used this tutorial: https://docs.openvino.ai/latest/openvino_docs_install_guides_install_dev_tools.html) I want to configure it for use with VPU (using this tutorial: https://docs.openvino.ai/latest/openvino_docs_install_guides_installing_openvino_ivad_vpu.html), but 3rdparty/hddl directories are missing. I was searching for them in virtual environment (openvino_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openvino/runtime) and in main file system (/opt/intel directory is also missing) but there are nowhere to be found. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe the VPU configuration is not required when installing a OpenVINO with PyPI? Or maybe VPU is not supported with PyPI installation? I feel like I am missing something.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Peh_Intel

Hi Remni,

OpenVINO Development Tools include Model Optimizer, Benchmark Tool, Accuracy Checker, Post-Training Optimization Tool. When installing OpenVINO Development Tools, OpenVINO Runtime will also be installed as a dependency. So, OpenVINO Runtime is not possible to be excluded. But this OpenVINO Runtime only includes a set of libraries for Intel® CPU and Intel® GPU hardware.

Hence, you have to install OpenVINO Runtime from Installer to get the libraries, driver for Intel® VPU. You still can proceed to configure OpenVINO Development Tools (by running Console Script, e.g. mo -h) as usual even you install additional OpenVINO Runtime from Installer.

To use the OpenVINO Runtime from Installer, you have to set environment variables:

source <INSTALL_DIR>/setupvars.sh

Regards,

Peh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hi Remni,

For your information, OpenVINO™ Runtime package install from PyPI only includes a set of libraries for Intel® CPU and Intel® GPU hardware.

To configure VPU, please download OpenVINO™ Runtime package using Installer.

If you installed the OpenVINO™ Runtime package to the default install directory, the HDDL_INSTALL_DIR was set to /opt/intel/openvino_2022/runtime/3rdparty/hddl.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Remni
Beginner

Thanks for answer.

So if I have to install OpenVINO Runtime from Installer, then how do I configure OpenVINO Development Tools (that can be only installed via PyIP) to work with OpenVINO Runtime installed from installer? With normal openvino-dev installation using PyIP it is also installing another copy of OpenVINO Runtime. Is there a way to install OpenVINO Development Tools without installing additional OpenVINO Runtime copy and just use one installed from installer?

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Remni,

OpenVINO Development Tools include Model Optimizer, Benchmark Tool, Accuracy Checker, Post-Training Optimization Tool. When installing OpenVINO Development Tools, OpenVINO Runtime will also be installed as a dependency. So, OpenVINO Runtime is not possible to be excluded. But this OpenVINO Runtime only includes a set of libraries for Intel® CPU and Intel® GPU hardware.

Hence, you have to install OpenVINO Runtime from Installer to get the libraries, driver for Intel® VPU. You still can proceed to configure OpenVINO Development Tools (by running Console Script, e.g. mo -h) as usual even you install additional OpenVINO Runtime from Installer.

To use the OpenVINO Runtime from Installer, you have to set environment variables:

source <INSTALL_DIR>/setupvars.sh

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Peh_Intel

Hi Remni,

This thread will no longer be monitored since this issue has been resolved. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos