Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

What's the version number logic?

samontab
Valued Contributor II

2021.1 was released about a month ago, with initial support for Ubuntu 20.04

2020.3.1 LTS was just released, without support for Ubuntu 20.04, only up to 18.04.

It's a bit difficult to compare the features available in those 2 currently available releases, specially since the version number meaning is not very clear to me at least.

I'm assuming the first part of the version is the year of release, (2020, 2021), the second part a consecutive iteration number (1, 2, 3, etc...), and the last one a minor bug fix or patches, etc. Is that correct?

Is the 2021.1 somehow a "preview" of what the main LTS will be in 2021? Are they different? Do we have a scheduled LTS for say, every year?

I'm not sure how to follow the development by just a quick view of the version, if anyone know, it would be great to know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
samontab
Valued Contributor II

OK, found a bit of the explanation here

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

OK, found a bit of the explanation here

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Sebastian,

As mentioned in the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit v. 2020 Long-Term Support (LTS) Policy, there will be 3-4 Standard releases a year. Standard release is catered for users looking to take advantage of new features, tools and support.

Long-Term Support (LTS) release meanwhile is catered for users looking for little to no new feature changes. LTS release is a stable and reliable version and is maintained for a longer period of time.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos
Munesh_Intel

Hi Sebastian,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided information. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Munesh

0 Kudos