Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6406 Discussions

What setup does Intel recommend for video streaming "at the edge"?

Lowe__Benjamin
Beginner

I was wondering if Intel could provide any recommendations for a low cost solution for the following task:

1. Obtain a 1080p camera feed from a HDMI/DVI source (e.g. This could be done via a inexpensive "game" capture device which converts it into USB data (UVC) or via custom hardware which can do this conversion.

2. Encode the stream into a compressed format (e.g. H264). 

3. Stream this feed securely (encrypted) to a cloud service e.g. Amazon Kinesis.

A Rasberry Pi 3 is insufficiently powerful to do real time encoding and streaming at the same time. For example, one thing I was wondering is if Intel provide a compute stick that can be used for video encoding which might facilitate this. 

Thanks for any help,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dearest Benjamin, the answer is that Intel CPUs can perform video encoding but with added GPU acceleration, performance is definitely better. I encourage you to browse https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html and find a system which suits your needs.

There is also the intel compute stick you can explore.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos