Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

openvino without opencv

nano
Beginner

Dear Community,

I'd like to use openvino in a c++ environment that uses a rather old version of opencv that I cannot upgrade (Version 3.1-ish)

Is it possible to run openvino inference engine without opencv to circumvent compatibility issues? I don't think its possible to run IE with an opencv-version that old, right?

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peh_Intel

Hi nano,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

For your information, OpenCV is one of the components that included in Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit. Each OpenVINO™ version has its own validated and supported OpenCV version. Rather than using that particular OpenCV version might lead to unexpected issues.

Based on my understanding, OpenCV is the Computer Vision package that used for image processing while OpenVINO™ Inference Engine is a unified API to allow high performance inference on many hardware types.

Without OpenCV, almost all the samples and demos (image classification, object detection) in Open Model Zoo cannot be executed as they required OpenCV for image processing.

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

@nano  as @Peh_Intel mentioned, many OpenVINO samples and Open Model Zoo demos depend on OpenCV as image processing library, except those demos which not process images, like BERT named entity recognition demo, BERT question answering demo, Machine translation demo, Noise suppression demo, Sound classification demo, Speech recognition deepspeech or Speech recognition QuartzNet, Text-to-speech and Time series forecasting demo.

Technically, OpenVINO is not linked with OpenCV, do not call OpenCV internally and run inference without OpenCV. It is application developer decision to use OpenCV for images/video input/output, pre-/post- processing operations or rendering images or use any other suitable implementation.

Peh_Intel

Hi nano,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided answers. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Regards,

Peh

0 Kudos