Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
422 Discussions

installing vanilla kernel in parallel with intel eci

grandixximo
Novice

Just wondering why this does not work well anymore, I like to have the venilla kernel there just in case, but seems like ethercat dkms does not work well with the latest linux-image-amd64 or linux-headers-amd-64 which will install  linux-image-5.10.0-29-amd64 and  linux-headers-5.10.0-29-amd64
Does anyone run ethercat with ECI kernel and vanilla kernel?
I didn't see any suggestions to remove the vanilla kernel.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

Generally, the latest officially validated Linux kernel/OS to be used with ECI is Canonical Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) or Canonical Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish).

You may refer here.

Other kernels might or might not properly work with ECI and issues are expected.

Cordially,

Iffa

0 Kudos
grandixximo
Novice
What about Debian bullseye is it not supported anymore?
0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

We'll further clarify this and get back to you.

Cordially,

Iffa

0 Kudos
grandixximo
Novice

Thank you very much for the reply,

If you need any more clarification let me know, the issue is updating or isntalling kernels with ighethercat-dkms installed

0 Kudos
grandixximo
Novice

I found that the problem is with the dkms.conf in the ighethercat-dkms package, on line 3 we see

BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_KERNEL="^((5\.(1[05])\.)|(6\.1\.))"

specifically with this line, this will try to install on any 5.10x 5.15x or 6.1x

I found that the ighethercat-dkms in the eci repos only play nice with intel-ese kernels

how about changing this line to 
BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_KERNEL="^((5\.(10|15)\.)|(6\.1\.)).*intel-ese"
So that the regex will allow only intel-ese kernels to automatically get the ighethercat-dkms installed.

0 Kudos