Intel® Embree Ray Tracing Kernels
Discussion forum on the open source ray tracing kernels for fast photo-realistic rendering on Intel® CPU(s)

Many rays missing triangle edges

Ibraheem_A_
Beginner

Dear embree developer(s),

I am having problems with rays that exactly touch triangle edges (from what I can see). My task is to voxelize a mesh then from each voxel center shoot many rays towards the surface and capture the closest hit. 

A hit by this definition should always happen but as you can see from this figure where I am visualizing only the misses with green lines:

problem01.jpg
Inline image 1

Lots of misses are happening, looking closer we can see this is only an issue at the triangle edges:

problem02.jpg

I was looking more into the documentation and noticed a 'robust' option. So I tried it out and I got this:

problem03.jpg

Much better but still not perfect. So my question is: are there any other options I can try to hopefully guarantee accurate results? is there a more accurate fallback mechanism when a ray misses?

Thanks for making available this fantastic library!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SvenW_Intel

The robust mode is the best accuracy you can currently get with Embree. I will look into your case of small cubes, maybe we find a fix to improve accuracy even more.

0 Kudos
Ibraheem_A_
Beginner

Thanks Sven. The latest robust mode code solved all issues I had.

0 Kudos