Intel® Embree Ray Tracing Kernels
Discussion forum on the open source ray tracing kernels for fast photo-realistic rendering on Intel® CPU(s)

Per-face Geometry/Ray mask

Sharpe__Brian
New Contributor I

Hi Intel

Currently in our renderer, materials can affect the geometry/ray mask  (ie what is set via rtcSetGeometryMask())

I'm working on having per-face materials at the moment, which means that different faces in a mesh can require a different mask.  Because the geometry/ray mask can only be set on a mesh as a whole, I'm having to break it up into chunks (with each chunk representing faces that share the same mask),  which is adding more complexity to my renderer than I would have liked.

Have you ever considered allowing for a per-face mask? 
Do you think there would/could be performance issues?

Thanks!
Brian Sharpe

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SvenW_Intel

I think per primitive masks is a reasonable feature, I added it to our list. With current Embree you do not need to break up your geometry into chunks, you can also implement per-primitive masking using intersection filters. You just make the mask test in the filter and reject the hit if it fails the mask test.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SvenW_Intel

I think per primitive masks is a reasonable feature, I added it to our list. With current Embree you do not need to break up your geometry into chunks, you can also implement per-primitive masking using intersection filters. You just make the mask test in the filter and reject the hit if it fails the mask test.

0 Kudos
Sharpe__Brian
New Contributor I

Ok, I'll try the intersection filter and see which is faster.
Thanks for the info Sven

0 Kudos