Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
856 Discussions

Floating license server setup required for floating license use with local computer RHEL 6 VM?

PJang
Beginner

Do I need to setup a floating license server to use a floating license for a single local computer's RHEL 6 VM instance?

First, I went to the Intel Self Service Licensing Center and added a new computer for a floating license by providing the HW Address (terminal command ifconfig and getting the eth0 HWaddr value) on my Linux RHEL 6 Virtual Machine instance. I then clicked on "Create New License", selected the 2 products "Quartus II SE Floating" and "OpenCL SDK" under the name "Patrick Jang", selected the computer that I just added, and downloaded the license.dat file. 

Next, I followed the directions in section 4.2.5 "Set Up a Floating Network License on a Local Computer" here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

On my Quartus Pro installation on my linux VM, I went to Options -> License Setup. In the License File input, I selected the license.dat file I had just created and downloaded. I also made sure to delete the line that starts with SERVER, according to step #3 in the directions on the quartus_install.pdf document.

One other thing to note is that I'm unable to connect to the Intel FPGA website when selecting the "Connect to the Altera Self-Service Licensing Center" option on Quartus Pro startup.

When I asked my technical liaison who provided the floating licenses, she also followed the same steps and provided a license.dat file for me to point to, but I still saw the same errors. I never got my question of whether I needed to setup a floating license server answered, which makes me wonder if it's needed or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello PJang,

I have a license server running.

There I deactivated the license server software and started Q18.1.

I tried to point Q18.1 to the directory where my licenses were and tried to open an existing license file.

It did not recognise the licenses. (Quartus hung)

I am only familiar with a floating license but it seems that my experiment points into the direction that you need a license server with a floating license.

Best Regards,

Johi