Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
856 Discussions

How does limited time .SOF file work ?

imarz1
Novice

I am new, and I created simple program that turns LED ON/OFF via one switch on board. This is done via NIOS II. I then created program in Eclipse to do that. I programmed it, and it all worked fine as expected.

Three days later, I am unable to even program...it fails. I re-generated the HW in Platform designer, then recompiled in Quartus Prime. Still unable to program the board. I noticed when launching Programmer from Quartus Prime, there is no Message Window to show why it fails, but if I launch it from Eclipse, I do see it, and it does say that there is time limited IP used, so I guess it might have expired, and that is the reason.

The only real HW I used is NIOS II. Maybe that is the IP it was referring to.

I really thought after programming the device, it will work for one hour, or until it is untethered, but it seems it is behaving differently...it seems it is a one-time limited ! If this is the case, I would say it is so unnecessary restriction, and hinders initial learning.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some explanation...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
imarz1
Novice

Never mind. The problem was not related to IP license which is good.

SyafieqS

Hi Imad,

During Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode, the Compiler only generates a time-limited device programming file (<projectname>_time_limited.sof) that expires at the time limit. Yes unfortunately it is one-time limited only and if you want to use your code after the evaluation time has expired, you need to buy the IP core implemented in your programming - otherwise you won't be able to program your FPGA. You can refer to link below for details

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an320.pdf

Thanks,

Regards