Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1156 Discussions

Questa Sim Intel FPGA free license doesn't work

abcdef1029374273
Beginner

Hello,

I succesfully generated free license file for Questa Sim Intel FPGA. I chose fixed type, NIC ID = <12 digit mac address, which corresponds to NIC ID shown in Quartus license window on the bottom> Then I set environmental variable LM_LICENSE_FILE to point the license file. But Questa Sim still doesn.t work.

Questa Sim version: Questa Intel Starter FPGA Edition-64 vsim 2021.2 Simulator 2021.04 Apr 14 2021 (installed with Quartus 21.1)

I've tried also other things such as:

* change name of license file from XXXX_License.dat to license.dat

* set also MGLS_LICENSE_FILE environmental variable

* overwrite .bashrc and .profile and restart machine

* change directory of installation of Questa Sim (at first it was /opt/intelFPGA/... which I changed to /home/<me>/intelFPGA/...)

* run Questa Sim with "sudo ./vsim" and from Quartus 21.1

* tried everything on other computer (first try was on virtual machine without internet connection with Xubuntu, second was on personal laptop with standard configuration and internet connection and Ubuntu - I generated second license file with changed NIC ID)

But it still doesn't work.

Error message is always the same:

Unable to find the license file. It appears that your license file environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE) is not set correctly.
Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

Environmental variables are set:

printenv | grep LICEN
MGLS_LICENSE_FILE=/home/br/Downloads/license.dat
LM_LICENSE_FILE=/home/br/Downloads/license.dat

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance,

abcdef

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Could you provide the license.dat file for checking?

For privacy, reply/attach file in private message.

0 Kudos
abcdef1029374273
Beginner

I've sent you a private message with license.dat

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Got it, give me some time for further checking. Thanks

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided in private message. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos