Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

De2-115 sram

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I'm having trouble with the university program SRAM core. There's only one option and that is to select the target board (DE2-115). However, when I go to run my C code it always tells me my processor is not responding. 

Because I'm simply just trying to get my SRAM to host my C code (so I can use the DRAM for other purposes) I only have a Nios CPU, switches, and the SRAM in my design.  

Does anyone know what could be going on or what I should do? Here's everything just for calcification. Also, the system is not accidentally left in a constant reset state; although that has happened to me before! 

/////////////////////////// VERILOG //////////////////////////////// 

module dram_system( 

CLOCK_50,  

SW,  

SRAM_DQ, 

SRAM_ADDR, 

SRAM_CE_N, 

SRAM_WE_N, 

SRAM_OE_N, 

SRAM_UB_N, 

SRAM_LB_N); 

input CLOCK_50; 

input [17:0] SW; 

inout [15:0] SRAM_DQ; 

output[19:0] SRAM_ADDR; 

output SRAM_CE_N; 

output SRAM_WE_N; 

output SRAM_OE_N; 

output SRAM_UB_N; 

output SRAM_LB_N; 

dramImageCPU dCPU ( 

.clk_0(CLOCK_50), 

.reset_n(~SW[17]),  

.in_port_to_the_switches(SW[15:0]),  

.SRAM_ADDR_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_ADDR), 

.SRAM_DQ_to_and_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_DQ), 

.SRAM_CE_N_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_CE_N), 

.SRAM_WE_N_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_WE_N), 

.SRAM_OE_N_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_OE_N), 

.SRAM_UB_N_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_UB_N), 

.SRAM_LB_N_from_the_sram_0(SRAM_LB_N)); 

endmodule 

///////////////////////////// NIOS ///////////////////////////// 

# include <iostream> 

using namespace std; 

int main (void) { 

cout << "Running..." << endl; 

return 0; 

-- Like I said, I just want it to run: 

bash-3.1$ nios2-download -g *.elf 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

:(:confused::cry::mad: 

I tried to make a custom SoPC module for the SRAM but I don't think I really know what I'm doing well enough for that, it didn't work. Now, this isn't really all that big a deal project wise since I'm just using the SDRAM controller for other portions but I do need the SRAM to work eventually so I'm open to ideas.  

Ideally, I would like to make my own core anyway but I don't really know how to do it. Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My apologisies to Terasic and people interested: 

once i have lowered clock within access time of sram on the board everything was fine. Still can not explain why original Terasic design did not work. 

---below my original answer: ---- 

I am pretty sure that original IP from terasic “Terasic_sram “ has some problem. I had simple test writing and reading values from SRAM and it failed. Then I took one of the original sample design from de2-115 and tried to make simple “hello world”. It did load when code was in on chip or sdram. It did not load when i asked to download code to sram. In addition to this I have tried to run the same sram test (code in sdram) and it failed. My simple memory tests works nicely on all other boards. 

Zbigniew , sydney
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Could you please tell me your timing parameters. I could not get it working on DE2-115 with the following for the Terasic SRAM IP: 

Setup 0 

Read Wait 1 

Write Wait 0 

Hold 0 

Read Latency 0 

Thanks