Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

FPGA for ETHERNET and SSF transceivers ?

Abdush
Beginner

Hi dears I wish you a good day ,
I am working on my bachelor graduation prohect which is ( an overcurrent protection relay design ) and I using an MPU to have all the functions and required controlling inside it. And I want to add a communication interface ports with my device to share real time arc Fault data with other devices using local networks and I want to add at least 2 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (RGMII) and 2 Optical Transceivers SFF 1000BASE.
I want to add this ETHERNET and SFF module to my project and after a lot of research I noticed that the MPUs only can connect with only one ethernet for and I also found the ETHERNET switches, but I analyzed the marketing, and the experts says that ethernet switches are not good in real time data transferring and the best way to implement the multiple ethernet and SFF transceivers with the project is using the FPGA. And I checked some devices that using for communication, and I noticed that they used the FPGA for that I started to learn VHDL to program an FPGA and add it to my project. but I get confused and I feel myself going in wrong path. Also, I am supposed should use some protocols like MODBUS…. etc.
Forgive me for writing so long and I wish you help and guide me to reach my goal of designing multiple ethernet and SSF transceivers using FPGA

Briefly my questions for you are
According to my goals as I mentioned before what should I do to design my own FPGA circuit and implement the ETHERNET and SFF transceiver modules with it?
Which FPGA should I buy?
Which FPGA development board should I use?
Which software should I use to design the FPGA?
I need any reference designs, books, courses or a good path to finish this part of my project as soon as possible.

If you read until here thank you very much and I am looking forward for your advice.
Sincerely,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

To implement 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (RGMII) and Optical Transceivers with 1000BASE.

Which FPGA development board should I use? -- You can use Cyclone V SoC Development Board.
Which software should I use to design the FPGA? -- You can use Quartus for targeting Cyclone V SoC.

Sharing the reference design with targeting Intel Cyclone V SoC It has 2 Ethernet Media Access Controller (EMAC) peripherals embedded along with the A9 core in the Hard Processor System (HPS). Each EMAC can be used to transmit and receive data at 10/100/1000 Mbps over Ethernet connections in compliance with the IEEE 802.3 specification.

Cyclone V RGMII Example Design 

Thank you

Kshitij Goel

0 Kudos
Kshitij_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos