Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1081 Discussions

How to see all inputs/outputs in node finder?

SSale9
Beginner

Right now I'm trying to create a system comprised of multiple modules (new to Verilog), and I can only ever see the nodes in the top-level entity when in the node finder. As an example, I have written something that follows the following structure:

module exampleMod1(a, b, c, d) input a,b; output c,d; always @(posedge clk) begin //processing a and b end endmodule   module exampleMod2(e, f, g, h) input e,f; output g,h; always @(posedge clk) begin //processing e and f end endmodule   module exampleMod3(i, j, k, l) input i, j; output k,l; always @(posedge clk) begin //processing i and j end endmodule

However, if exampleMod1 is my top-level entity (I have selected it as such in the Assignments > Settings > General section) then when I proceed to the Node Finder in my .vwf file and select list, only the nodes in exampleMod1 are shown (a, b, c and d), since it is the top level module. This also means that I can't run a simulation properly, since I can't view the input that I want to as it is neither a or b. How can I correct this to see all inputs and outputs in the project?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndyN
New Contributor I

If I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve, you need to put a top level wrapper above these modules that will instantiate the modules you want. If you just tell it to use exampleMod1 as your top level, it isn't going to include 2 and 3 in the design.

Something like this:

module topWrapper (a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l); input a, b, e, f, i, j; output c, d, g, h, k, l;   exampleMod1 mod1 ( .a, .b, .c, .d );   exampleMod2 mod2 ( .e, .f, .g, .h );   exampleMod3 mod3 ( .i, .j, .k, .l );   endmodule

Hope that helps,

Andy