Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Intel IP Core and Quartus Prime EDA Software for Pre-Commercial / Commercial Device Design

jasminehau
Beginner

Good day. 

During the R&D of my research invention, I have used Quartus Prime software and several IP cores, such as FFT, Nios II, ARM-SoC and others associated peripheral to form a complete FPGA-SoC system and design a proof-of-concept (PoC) prototype under the university education program. I would like to ask if our research invention is move from research PoC prototype towards pre-commercial / commercial product, do we still allow to use these EDA design software and IP cores under university license or royalty-free during device design & development

Look forward to your advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

I am checking you query internally and will address this as soon I have the answer.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

HI Jasmine,

No, you cannot continue to use that license. The free academic license is for non-commercial use only. If you want to use for commercial, you can subscribe to Quartus Standard/Pro. May refer to link below for more details.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/22-1/introduction-to-fpga-software-installation.html

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Hi Syafieq,

Thanks for your reply. We actually haven't ready for commercial yet, but trying to improve existing R&D PoC prototype to pre-commercial invention to achieve higher Technology Readiness Level (TRL) from TRL 4-5 to TRL 6-7, so that this prototype is more presentable and well validated in real operational environment, which enable us to further explore the future commercial potential.

As a result, I would like to double confirm on the following two questions:

1. During the design process of pre-commercial invention (means not ready for commercial market yet), the university R&D team still not allowed to use the free academic license for the design process?

2. Does the subscription to Quartus Standard/Pro also include the underlying IP library (e.g. Nios II, FFT, peripheral controller, etc) for the commercial use? Or separate licensing need to be purchased for different IP?

Look forward to your advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Good day, I would like to follow up regarding my further question as listed below:

1. During the design process from R&D PoC prototype to pre-commercial invention (means not ready for commercial market yet) so that the prototype is more presentable and well validated in real operational environment to further explore the future commercial potential, does the university R&D team is allowed to continue use the free academic license for the design process?

2.  Does the subscription to Quartus Standard/Pro also include the underlying IP library (e.g. Nios II, FFT, peripheral controller, etc) for the commercial use? Or separate licensing need to be purchased for different IP?

Look forward to further advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

1. During the design process of pre-commercial invention (means not ready for commercial market yet), the university R&D team still not allowed to use the free academic license for the design process?

- If you are still doing academic R&D (ie. You might try to publish an academic paper, etc) then you can continue to use the academic license. If you have transitioned to making a commercial product, then you need to purchase a license.

2. Does the subscription to Quartus Standard/Pro also include the underlying IP library (e.g. Nios II, FFT, peripheral controller, etc) for the commercial use? Or separate licensing need to be purchased for different IP?

- Upon checking, below are the Ips bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS. If other IP needed (eg, IP-NIOS) , customer needs to purchase separate/additional license.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

During the design process of pre-commercial invention (means not ready for commercial market yet), the university R&D team still not allowed to use the free academic license for the design process?

- If you are still doing academic R&D (ie. You might try to publish an academic paper, etc) then you can continue to use the academic license. If you have transitioned to making a commercial product, then you need to purchase a license.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

Apologize for the late response due to internal pending reply.

Let me know if there is any concern on this.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

May I know if there is any update regarding this

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Hi Syafieq,

Sorry for my late reply, I was away from my office.

Thanks for your reply on Intel Quartus Prime software, now I have a better idea about it.

Referring to the IP core license, I have some further questions:

1. Referring to your previous atachment of IPs bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS, it seems cover IPs like FIR and FFT but Nios-II is not included. May I double confirm how about the other standard peripherals like high resolution timer, PLL, ADC Controller, JTAG UART, etc which normally form the standard reference module? Are they considered as part of the IPs bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS or considered as external / 3rd party IPs which needs to purchase separate/additional license?

2. I have also browsed to the link: 4.4.4. Intellectual Property (IP) Cores Licenses

Referring to the statement "You only need to purchase a full production license for licensed Intel® FPGA IP cores after completing hardware testing and you are ready to use the IP in production. The rest of the time, you can use the Intel® FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature to evaluate IP cores."

Based on the statement, can I assume as long as our invention is not ready for a full production for commercial sales purpose (still in pre-commercial stage), we are still allow to use the IPs in evaluation mode?

3. Shall I use this link to look for local sales office or distributor to purchase the external / 3rd party IP license?
Partner Directory - Intel® Solutions Marketplace

Look forward to your further advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

1. Based on the statement, can I assume as long as our invention is not ready for a full production for commercial sales purpose (still in pre-commercial stage), we are still allow to use the IPs in evaluation mode?

- Yes, you can still use evaluation mode as long as not ready for production yet. With this can help you to verify and decide better designing.

2. Shall I use this link to look for local sales office or distributor to purchase the external

3rd party IP license?

- Yes, for 3rd party IP license you can contact Intel partner for solution design and service

3. Are they considered as part of the IPs bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS or considered as external / 3rd party IPs which needs to purchase separate/additional license?

- They (high resolution timer, PLL, ADC Controller, JTAG UART) are considered as IP bundled and they are not from external party. Thus no need separate license. 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

Let me know if there is any update at your end regarding this

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Hi Syafieq,

I am sorry for my late reply. Is it possible that I ask for the full list of the IP bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS, so that I can double confirm if there is any external IP providers that I need to deal with?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Jasmine,

I am confirming this internally and will let you know

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Jasmine,

I am still pending reply internally and will let you know the update

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Hi Syafieq,

No problem. Will look forward to your further info sharing. 

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Jasmine,

Attached is the full list of the IP bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS.

You may take a look and let me know if there is any other concern on this.

Thanks for your patience. 

0 Kudos
jasminehau
Beginner

Dear Syafieq,

Sorry for my late reply, I was away from my office.

Thanks for your list sharing of the IP bundled under commercial SW-ONE-QUARTUS, I will browse through the list and feedback with you if I have other query.

Thanks for your help and I really appreciate your time and effort.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Let me know if there is any concern on this

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos