Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1080 Discussions

Read audio from flash- wm8731 codec

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I am trying to make a system that stores some audio samples (~11secs) to the flash of the DE1 Board and then playback them. 

Right now, i only would like to play correctly the audio sample I previously stored in my board.  

I know that there are lots of similar design around, also de1_sound etc provide useful code. 

The matter is, every examle makes use of the CODEC in slave mode, so with a couple of counters and ONE pll they provide the right clocks to the system. 

I want to use CODEC in master mode.  

Codec is configured via NIOS and opencores I2C, while the read/write operation from/to flash should be only "hardware".  

Using the sources for the flash controller in university program, i made a system where I can erase data from flash and write sequential data to the flash - and with the DE1 control panel I downloaded flash content, opened with an hex editor and I can confirm there were the right data I wrote.  

Now, the problem is: 

the data out form the flash is being stored into a dual clock fifo, both flash and write clock to fifo are clocked @50MHZ, while the read signal is locked to the aud_BCLK.  

A fsm should check if fifo is full in order to control the write operation from flash to fifo and refill the fifo when a bit in rduswd bus bit goes high.  

Now, sometimes I can get the right sound - only left channel, I am working on a single channel right now - sometimes only "white noise", sometimes there isn't any kind of reading from the flash. 

I don't know if and where is my error.  

Any hint would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, since i was running out of time, I changed approach and used an only-hardware based solution. 

It is based on starterkit provided by Altera, so I don't need to provide in-out fifos or to detect conditions or configure the CODEC. 

Furthermore, I am still using the altera university program flash controller to access the flash.  

Now, I am able to store 2^21 bits of data in the first half of the flash memory and 2^21 bits of (different) data in the upper half of the flash. 

And I am able to correctly play them to the speakers.  

Now introducing the nios processor should take less than a quarter of hour, but I am a little bit sad that I had to use someone else audio decoder. 

Well, I suppose that in complex systems is natural - and way much faster, and obvious - use third part software/hardware. But for a simple project, I would be pleased to do it on my own. 

Anyway, since it is a (minor) project for an univeristy course, I won't publish it here until the exam will take place.  

But if someone is interested, feel free to contact me.  

Best regards,  

P.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

Can you give the source code for the same as a zip file