Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

11.1.035 Integrated help missing

Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
The integrated Fortran help is missing from my 11.1.035/VS2008/XP installation (IA32 only); my VS2008 is the complete edition from MS, not the PPE. All other aspects of the F90 integration into VS seem to be working well (ie, compiling, linking, resource editor, etc.)

Other recent threads here have noted this problem. I have tried first repairing, then removing/re-installing IVF, but no change; the install procedure does not offer any options for VS integration (as it used to), or list help files as an omit/install option. The VS help defaults to C++, and the menu of available language and help contexts does not include any mention of Fortran. The VS 'Help' menu has an "Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Pro" option, which contains "Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Help", and this brings up only an "Overview" title page. The "F1 Options" from this display allows selection of Fortran Help, which only cycles back to the same Overview page, with no other content.

TIA
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Paul_Curtis
Valued Contributor I
I kept burrowing and got it going -- sort of an easter egg hunt through the IVF documentation.

Would it be too much to suggest that the automatic setup of the FORTRAN compiler product might attach its own help files into the VS default help-search by default?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It does - or at least, it's supposed to. We've identified a problem that occurs if you have VSPPE installed and then install VS08 Shell. Your situation seems to be different.
0 Kudos
victor_pp
Novice
It does - or at least, it's supposed to. We've identified a problem that occurs if you have VSPPE installed and then install VS08 Shell. Your situation seems to be different.
I have IVF 11.0.075/VSPPE and IVF 11.1.038/VS08 Shell installed on IA-32 Vista. The inegrated help in VS08 is not working: Help-Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Pro-Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Help opens only Inofrmation Not Found page. Also context-sensitive help F1 is not working. What should be done to activate the integrated help?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I have been told that uninstalling VSPPE and reinstalling VS08 Shell and Fortran will take care of it. You may be able to reinstall VSPPE afterward.
0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II
Any ideas how to ressurect the help for 11.1.38 under VS2005 (not ppe)? The integrated form of the help was working for me with 11.1.35, but after installing 11.1.38 (and perhaps also the recent 11.0 release) it has absconded. I tried a repair of 11.1.38 without success.

Thanks,

IanH
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The issue appears to be with the Microsoft "Help2" system where the run-time environment gets confused as products are installed using it. I'll see what I can find out.
0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

This is probably very specific to my particular installation (11.1.38 on VS2005), but I got the help back through blind and ignorant experimentation.

At a command prompt, from within the directory "C:Program FilesIntelCompiler11.1�38help" I ran the following two commands:

[plain]h2reg -r CmdFile=..Documentationvshelp1033intel.forprodocs.enfproc_vs2005_H2Reg_cmd.ini

h2reg -r CmdFile=..Documentationvshelp1033intel.fprocompilerdocs.enH2Reg_cmd.ini[/plain]

Next time I restarted VS the Intel cataegory was back.

There's also an ini file for mkl.

No doubt the commands would need to be different for other VS environments, but at least I'm happy now.

IanH
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I am using 11.1.038 and VS2008 (no other versions of VS on my computer) and I have the same problem which started this thread. Unfortunately, IanH's solution does not work in my case, because I don't have any directory "help" in "C:Program FilesIntelCompiler11.1�38". It might be related to the problem with missing help files described in this thread. I have already tried repairing the VS integration, but it did not resolve the problem with missing help. Should I try reinstalling VS2008 Shell and 11.1.038?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - jirina
I am using 11.1.038 and VS2008 (no other versions of VS on my computer) and I have the same problem which started this thread. Unfortunately, IanH's solution does not work in my case, because I don't have any directory "help" in "C:Program FilesIntelCompiler11.1�38". It might be related to the problem with missing help files described in this thread. I have already tried repairing the VS integration, but it did not resolve the problem with missing help. Should I try reinstalling VS2008 Shell and 11.1.038?

The more important help files are in Compiler11.1�38Documentation
A modify or repair installation (if you still have the Download directory) would "help" if you deselected help files when installing, or if they got deleted or corrupted accidentally.
I haven't seen it discussed, but all my choices in VS2008 help are grayed out other than "use online help as primary." Maybe this is a consequence of not installing MSDN help download.
The URL you refer to mentions the VS help path getting broken when changing from PPE (subset of VS2005). If you don't have a broken help file path set up when you open up VS2008 help, that's not your problem.
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I checked the directory "Compiler11.1�38Documentation" and I can see two directories there - "en_US" and "vshelp", both of them are not empty, so this might be OK. Also, the installation folder arrangement is the same as described in the release notes. Finally, I installed the complete package, so I don't think something (directories, files) is missing.

The help menu in my VS 2008 is OK, I just get a screen saying "Information Not Found" after pressing F1 or using the menu item "Help - Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Pro - Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Help".

I am trying to find out what could be wrong. Is there anything I can check, try or repair to make things work?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Did you try Ian's suggestion above of running h2reg.exe?
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I wanted to; however, I don't have the directory "help" in "...11.1�38". I tried searching for "h2reg.*" on my computer, but nothing was found.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - jirina
I wanted to; however, I don't have the directory "help" in "...11.1�38". I tried searching for "h2reg.*" on my computer, but nothing was found.
This file is installed along with the Visual Studio integrated help. It could be that something prevented that from getting installed.

I suggest that you uninstall 11.1.038 and then reinstall.

if you really get stuck, open the folder C:Program FilesIntelDownloadw_cproc_p_11.1.038_ia32installs1033w_cproc_doc_vs_emhe_p_11.1.038 In there is a data1.cab file. Some ZIP-type programs, such as WinZip, will open it. You'll find h2reg.exe in there. Then follow Ian's instructions.
0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I
I reinstalled 11.1.038, which did not help. So I followed your instructions, found h2reg.exe and used it as IanH recommended (I just changed 2005 for what I have - 2008). Everything works well now - thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - jirina
I reinstalled 11.1.038, which did not help. So I followed your instructions, found h2reg.exe and used it as IanH recommended (I just changed 2005 for what I have - 2008). Everything works well now - thank you very much for your help.

This integration issue still appears to be a problem for 11.1.051 (or possibly due to uninstalling an earlier version after installing 11.1.051). I'm using VS2005.

(The fix with h2reg works for 11.1.051, just tedious to have to find the commands and run them.)

Thanks,

David
0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Quoting - David White

This integration issue still appears to be a problem for 11.1.051 (or possibly due to uninstalling an earlier version after installing 11.1.051). I'm using VS2005.

(The fix with h2reg works for 11.1.051, just tedious to have to find the commands and run them.)

Thanks,

David

If those h2reg commands do the business, why can't they be included in the IVF installation and save all this trouble with the help being missing?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The installation does what it's supposed to do to register the help. I'm unsure why the separate h2reg helps.
0 Kudos