Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

20 second delay when invoking ifort in a command window

William_L_4
Beginner

Greetings,

I have a issue after having installed Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 13 for Windows.  We have single user uncounted licenses, and while these have worked fine on servers using Fortran 11.1, we now encounter a 20 second delay in response to issuing the "Ifort" command within a command window.

I've noticed that after having issued it a few times, it seems to speed up, as though it's cached the license checkout.  But it's unpredictable, some times the delay will reoccur after 4 minutes, some times it will work correctly 7 minutes later.

I've tried a few things mentioned in the forums, placing the license file in the same directory as the executable, putting the license file name into the INTEL_LICENSE_FILE environment file, making sure the LM_LICENSE_FILE is not set, but the behavior remains.

I have the output file created by defining the INTEL_LMD_DEBUG variable but do not see anything obvious.

This originally got my attention when our build went from 4 hours under 11.1 to 10 hours under 12.1.

We are running on a Windows 2012R2 (6.3, Build 9600) server, with Visual Studio 2010 SP1, AMD Opteron 6380 processor.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cryptogram
New Contributor I

Could also be virus checking. We've run into problems when running executables hosted on servers.  We installed a new version of virus checking that added scanning of network hosted executalbes.  For a while it was really bad, because it would do an "in-depth" scan every time an executable was accessed.  I was running a model that would shell out and run an LP solver many times, and the run time suddently jumped from 1 minute to 45 minutes.

After some back and forth with the vendor,  a new version of the virus checker mitigated the problem somewhat.  Now it does the in depth scan on network executables  but it stops doing it after about 5 times.  There's apparently some timeout associated with this feature, so if I run the model again immdiately, it doesn't have any slowdown. But if I run it tommorrow, the slowdown returns.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please use "Send Author a Message" and include the INTEL_LMD_DEBUG output so that I can review it? If you indeed have single (named) user licenses, the license checkout should be instantaneous. I'm not aware that we've seen delays other than using floating licenses.

cryptogram's suggestion of a virus checker would have been my next thought.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sending the log. I really do think the issue is not with the license checkout. (I also note that this is a four year old compiler, but it should work ok. I would try temporarily disabling any anti-malware software you're running to see if that changes the behavior.

0 Kudos