Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

2008 version vs. 2011

Gwenaelle_Proust
Beginner
Hi,
I just changed computer and I am trying to re-install my software but I am having a problem, it's not working correctly. I have just reinstall Microsoft visual studio 2008 and now I need the fortran compiler.

1) if I install fortran 2008 (which was the version I was working with), i keep getting an error message when I am compiling telling me that I don't have C++

2) if I install the 2011 version it finds C++ and compiles but my code that used to work on the 2008 version doesn't work on 2011.

So how can I solve either of these problems: 1) why can't the 2008 version link with C++? 2) what is the difference between the 2 versions of the compiler that a code that previously worked doesn't work anymore?

Thanks for your help

Gwen
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Gwen,

We have made continuous improvements in our compiler in the area of error checking. It is probable that the new compiler found errors in your code that the old one did not. But since you did not show us the code nor the error messages, it's hard to be more specific.

As of version 10 of our compiler, we include all the necessary Microsoft pieces to develop, build and debug Fortran applications. We did not have a version we called 2008, so I am not sure which version you installed that wanted Visual C++ installed.

Please show us the error messages and the source that triggered the error and we will be able to help you further.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
"doesn't work" is too vague as a description of the problem to elicit a useful reply. You have said that the compilation goes through. Does the linking phase produce an EXE file? If so, does the EXE file fail to run at all, or does it run but not to completion, or does it run to completion but produce wrong results?

Secondly, phrases such as "the 2008 version" are vague, too -- you could mean "the version that was released by in 2008" or "the version that I used in 2008". When you list a version number that the compiler vendor never used for its product, it is impossible to know what your software setup contains.

It is more useful if you err on the side of reporting too much rather than too little as to the error messages that you saw.
0 Kudos
Gwenaelle_Proust
Beginner
Hi Steve,

With the compiler 8.0 version I get the following error message: ifort: error: unable to run '\\Bin'

so I cannot compile my code

with the 2011 version I can compile the code and I get a new exe file but the code doesn't run properly. I used to get an answer now I just get error messages that there is a singular matrix (but this problem didn't exist before).

I hope this is more clear this time.
Thanks for your help.

Gwen
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
> With the compiler 8.0 version I get the following error message: ifort: error: unable to run '\\Bin'

> so I cannot compile my code

You do not say so explicitly, but let us assume that you are using the command line environment, and that you have installed the Microsoft SDK tools that are necessary for the Intel compiler to function.

In that case, we need to know what command line options you used in calling the compiler. The error message that you gave suggests that the file /bin/ifort.cfg does not have the correct directory for the Microsoft components in it. If so, simply edit the file and replace by the correct path of the Microsoft tools. In other words, the Intel compiler installation has not been correctly configured, but the defect is easily fixed.

>with the 2011 version I can compile the code and I get a new exe file but the code doesn't run properly. I used to get an answer now I just get error messages that there is a singular matrix

If you are using the same compiler options with both versions of the compiler, there is a possibility that there is a bug in your code that did not surface or its effects were too small to notice when the code was compiled with the older compiler. To further investigate the error you will have to provide a "reproducer", i.e., a small, self contained and complete example that demonstrates that "correct" results are given by the older compiler and not so with the newer compiler.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
ifort: error: unable to run '\\Bin'

This message (evidently not accurately quoted) indicates that the Intel compiler installer didn't find a supported version of Visual Studio. The only currently supported Visual Studio which could have been available when ifort 8. was active would be VS2005.
If you are quoting from the ifort command prompt window, "ifort -V" would tell which ifort version you have.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Intel Visual Fortran 8.0 was released in 2003 - some eight years old at this point. I am glad to hear that you now have the current version. Yes, the current compiler is much better at error detection than version 8 and, as I mentioned, the necessary Microsoft bits are now included.

Please show us the error messages and the sources that triggered them and we can help further.
0 Kudos