Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

64 bit debugging not working

RobP
Beginner

I'm using Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3 and debugging in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2's IDE with this simple program:

program Console1

implicit none

! Variables
    integer(4) testInt
    ! Body of Console1
    print *, 'Hello World'
    testInt = 7
    end program Console1

When the EXE for this program is compiled with the "IA 32" (the Win32 platform) ifort compiler, the debugging works as expected. The watch on `testInt` changes from a random value to 7.

But, when I use the "Intel (R) 64" (the x64 platform) compiler by setting the project to the x64 platform, the debugger will stop at correct break points. But the watch on `testInt` reports "Undefined address" instead of 7. 

What's going on here? How can I enable correct debugging for 64 bit Fortran compilations? This is interfering with COM Server development where the COM client and server must be 64-bit.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In the Locals window, what does the "Type" of TESTINT show as? There is not anything special you need to do to enable 64-bit debugging. Are you sure this is a Debug configuration?

0 Kudos
RobP
Beginner

In 32 bit, TESTINT is an INTEGER(4) in the Locals window.
In 64 bit, the "Type" column is empty, and the value is "Undefined Address."

I'm as sure as I can be that it's a Debug configuration. Optimizations are off (/Od) and /debug:full is on.

/nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"x64\Debug\\" /object:"x64\Debug\\" /Fd"x64\Debug\vc120.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c

Linker is set flagged /DEBUG:

/OUT:"x64\Debug\Console1.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Console1\Console1\x64\Debug\Console1.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Console1\Console1\x64\Debug\Console1.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Console1\Console1\x64\Debug\Console1.lib"

Compiler output is:

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Console1, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'Console1', configuration 'Debug|x64'.
1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 14.0.3.202 [Intel(R) 64]...
1>Console1.f90
1>Linking...
1>Embedding manifest...
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Console1\Console1\x64\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Console1 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Try an uninstall and reinstall of Fortran and see if that helps. If not, I'll suggest other things to try. I don't recall hearing of this particular symptom before.

0 Kudos
RobP
Beginner

I've done that already. The symptom didn't change. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I can reproduce this after installing VS2013 Update 2. Escalated to development as issue DPD200257062. Right now the only thing I can think of is to revert to VS2013 Update 1.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You can uninstall Update 2 in Programs and Features > View Installed Updates. If you do that, x64 debugging will return. I'll let you know when I find out more about the problem.

0 Kudos
RobP
Beginner

That worked with the toy program I used. I'll try it now with the COM Server. 

There are upgrade features in Update 2 that I absolutely now need for other development. Is the issue flagged as connected to my Premier account? 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, it isn't connected to your Premier account. Please enter a Premier issue about this and ask that it be assigned to me. I'll take care of it from there.

0 Kudos
RobP
Beginner

Premier reference number is 6000053249

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Got it.

0 Kudos
Karen_K_1
Beginner

I have the same problem. Can I be notified when a solution is available?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The developers fixed the problem, the fix should appear in update 4. I had asked the developers if they'd be willing to make the fix available separately for affected users, but have not heard back from them. I will ping them on this.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I've received the fix and tested it. I've already provided it to Robert through Intel Premier Support. Karen, please open an Intel Premier Support issue on this and ask that it be assigned to me, and I'll get you the fix as well. FWIW, the fix also seems to work with the beta 2015 compiler install.

0 Kudos
RobP
Beginner

OK; I'll apply Update 2 to VS2013 and then the DLL. 

0 Kudos
Karen_K_1
Beginner

Ok I will open an Intel Premier Support issue and have it assigned to you. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Karen, if you tell me the issue number once you have it, I can get to it faster.

0 Kudos
Karen_K_1
Beginner

I can't seem to submit an issue on Premier Support. No matter what I try on Step 1 "Select Product & Contact" I can't get to the next step. If I enter the product name and hit the Search button nothing happens, if I hit the Next button nothing happens. If I click the "Browse Products" link a window pops up but no products are listed. Is there something I am doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Karen, I'll send you a private message to try to help you.

0 Kudos
Geoff_Hall
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I wish I had discovered this thread before wasting time on VS2013 update 2! Will Composer XE update 4 be released soon?

Cheers, Geoff

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Geoff,

Not until August. I will send you a Private Message and attach the fix. Anyone else who wants it is welcome to send me a message and I'll provide it.

0 Kudos