Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26734 Discussions

Ambiguous warning from Intel Fortran: -fno-builtin

Matt_Thompson
Novice

All,

This is a minor little issue, but as I don't have direct ability to submit to the Intel ticketing system, I thought I'd whine here for hope of a fix in a future version.

Namely, due to my own idiocy recently with CMake and getting Fortran flags to match GNU Make, I encountered something interesting. Namely, when building GEOS (the model I work on with thousand+ Fortran files), every single compile spit out:

ifort: warning #10337: option '-fno-builtin' disables '-imf*' option

This was annoying because of the volume of messages. This was puzzling because I don't have '-fno-builtin' as a flag. Indeed, it does not appear in the man pages of Intel Fortran:

$ grep -ir no-builtin /usr/local/intel/2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.2.187/linux/documentation/en/man/common/man1/*
$

So, a little investigation and it turns out it is '-nolib-inline' that causes it:

$ ifort -nolib-inline -fimf-arch-consistency=true PreciseSummationMod.F90 test.F90
$ ifort  -fimf-arch-consistency=true PreciseSummationMod.F90 test.F90
$  

My main appeal here would be to perhaps make that warning a bit more precise so that I'd know that I was (erroneously, it turns out) mixing these flags.

Matt

0 Kudos
0 Replies