Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Announcing Intel Visual Fortran 8.0

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Intel is announcing today the availability of Intel Visual Fortran 8.0 for Windows, the successor to Compaq Visual Fortran. As soon as I can find the press release on the Intel web site (probably later today), I'll link to it here. You can read more about the release at http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/fwin/
Intel Fortran 8.0 combines the best technologies from Compaq Fortran and Intel Fortran to create a new line of compatible compilers for Windows and Linux that deliver outstanding performance on IA-32 and Itanium processor systems.
At this time, Intel Visual Fortran Standard Edition is available, with a US suggested retail price of $499. (Microsoft Visual C++.NET Standard or higher must be installed in order to use Intel Visual Fortran.) A Professional edition, with the new IMSL 5 library optimized for Intel processors, will be available in early 2004. Note that Array Visualizer, which had been available only in the Pro edition of CVF, is now in the Standard Edition of Intel Visual Fortran.
Users of Intel Fortran with current support licenses can download the 8.0 release from their Premier Support account. For a limited time (but I don't know the end date), CVF users can upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 8.0 Standard for only $200. An upgrade from CVF Pro will be made available later (and if you're interested in that, I suggest you wait for it.)
On a related note: Many of you are aware that I've been handling the bulk of CVF support requests for the past couple of years. As of today, HP engineers will take over responding to CVF support requests sent to the CVF support address CVF users are still welcome in this forum, of course.
If you have questions, ask them here, I'll do my best to answer.
0 Kudos
44 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Press release is here.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Press release is here.

0 Kudos
tmcole
Beginner
Does the Intel compiler fix the problem with sometimes approximately doubling compilation times with array bounds checking on?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, even CVF didn't have this problem for every program, just one example we had seen. I would expect that the 8.0 compiler would not have this behavior.
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I havetwoIF 7 licenses I purchased earlier this year when Intel offered a discount to CVF users. I have one CVF standard license and one CVF pro license. Based on what Steve wrote in another thread VNI won't allow Intel to offer an upgrade from IVF 8 standard to pro. Does that mean I'll definitely have to order IMSL 5 from VNI? Will I be losing out on a discount if I were to buy IVF and IMSL bundled together from Intel?

The computer on which I currently have CVF pro installed also has VS.NET 2003 installed because I have an MSDN pro subscription. My other computer on which I have CVF standard installed will need VC++.NET standard installedto give me the VS.NET IDE. Is Intel offering VC++.NET, or do we have to buy it from Microsoft? I'm trying to figure out the best deal.

I remember Steve stating that CVF and IVF will coexist well on the same computer. Are there any special installation instructions or things to watch out for when doing that? In my case, will it make a difference for installation if I already have VS.NET installed on one computer versus if I don't on the other? I want to get IVF installed without having to reinstall CVF if possible.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

The information at the URL Steve gave in his initial post states that CVF users can update to IVF 8 for $200 by March 31, 2004. Will IVF 8 with IMSL 5 be available by then, and what will the upgrade to that bundle cost? I assume that anyone making that kind of upgrade would have to supply a CVF pro license number, correct?

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Installing CVF does not touch IVF and vice-versa. I have both installed, regularly install and uninstall one or the other, and all is fine.
If you have CVF Pro and want IVF Pro with IMSL 5, you will want to wait for the Pro upgrade as it will save you significant money. However, IMSL 5 is NOT cheap. The Pro edition is currently pegged at $1399, the upgrade from CVF Pro at $849, a savings of $350. If you buy IMSL from VNI directly, I think they'll charge $1200 or so - it's hard to tell since they don't quote prices on their site. On the other hand, you get a benefit from buying IVF Pro in that you get a free IMSL run-time license for systems up to 4 processors. VNI charges for IMSL 5 run-time licenses.
One annoyance - we can't offer floating licenses for IMSL 5.
As for timing of the Pro upgrade vs, the Standard upgrade, I wouldn't worry about it.
Intel itself is not selling MSVC++.NET. You can buy it anywhere. Just as an example, amazon.com shows it at $79.99.
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

It seems that for the upgrade from CVF proI made a big mistake by buying IF 7 earlier this year instead of waiting for the IVF 8 with IMSL 5 bundle that will be available next year. I paid $200 for IF 7, and it looks as though I'll have to pay another $1200 to VNI to get IMSL 5, a total of $1400. If I had waited I could have upgraded directly from CVF pro to IF 8 with IMSL 5 for $850, a difference of $550.

I don't think I'm the only person who did this. Is there any way to appeal for a price adjustment, or do I have to take this up with VNI?

Mike D.

0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

Somewhere in the IVF announcement or the links in the first post of this thread I read that one can obtain IVF 8 on CD for a small fee, but I couldn't find the instructions for ordering it. How do I do that?

Mike D.

0 Kudos
dhalpern
Beginner
Steve,
I would appreciate if you could also provide academic pricing information for upgrades for both the standard and professional versions, from cvf 6.6.
On Intel's website it seems that there is no discount for upgrades of the standard version: It's $200 for upgrade of the
On a reseller's website, http://www.cs-software.com, I've noticed that the academic price for a new license of theprofessional version is $560-$600 depending on media, but I did not see any price quote for upgrades.
Are there going to be any price breaks for upgrading academic licenses?
Sincerely,
David Halpern
Department of Mathematics
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
0 Kudos
jkrob
Beginner
Steve,
In reguards to the IVF 8.0 release needing MVC++.NET to work, can IVF still create QuickWin applications which will run on Win95/98? If so, will a QW application compiled on Win2000 or greater run on Win95/98? With CVF, it won't. In order for a QW program to run on Win95 or greater,I have to compile on a Win95 machine.
Thanks,
Jeff
BTW - IVF 8.0 upgrade from CVF is available at Programmers Paradise for $189 & MVC++.NET Standard is available for $99. I justpurchased them.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I will pass on to the marketing people (who negotiated with VNI) the comments about the lack of a Std-Pro upgrade. No promises - it's not really up to us.

There is no additional discount on the CVF-IVF upgrade for academic users - the price is already so low.

Academic pricing:

Standard: $245 ($200 for download)
Student: $30 (download only, limited support)
Pro: $605 ($560 for download)

There is no academic CVF-IVF Pro upgrade.

Floating licenses are also available.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'll check into the "media only" option, but to be honest, I don't think it exists.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Mike,
Where did you see the mention of a "CD only" kit? I can't find it (and don't think one exists.)
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

It took me a while to find it again, but the reference to a CD containing the release was in the e-mail message that Intel sent to me to announce IVF 8:

Self-extracting zip file containing the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.0 for Windows* Product Release. The package id is W_FC_P_8.0.035. IA32 Compiler Build 20031017, Itanium Compiler Build 20031017. . This product release is also available on CD for a nominal fee. For more information see http://www.intel.com/software/products/global/produpdates.htm

The given link also has references to a CD.

I also found a mention of a printed copy of the Intel Fortran Language Reference manual for $55 athttp://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/fwin/pricelist.htm. Is the Intel LRM significantly different from the Compaq version?

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for the reference - I had not seen the e-mail. To be honest, this is the first I've read about such CDs, so I don't know offhand how you order this. I'll find out.
I would say that if you have the CVF LRM, you really don't need a new one, especially as you have the latest copy on-disk.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice

Steve,

Is IMSL the only difference between the pro and std versions of IVF 8?

Thanks,

Gerry T.:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I

A quite similar Q.

Is there any performace and/or capabilities impact of Visual Studio.NET version on IVF 8.0. I mean is there any difference in performance of IVF if the C++.NET Standard or VS.NET Pro is used?

thank you

A.

0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

I decided to try calling VNI directly to ask about the price of adding IMSL 5 to IVF 8 and why VNI won't allow an IVF standard to pro upgrade. I got hold of someone in tech support who of course knew nothing about pricing, but she said that she would find someone to talk to me about this. If I don't get a call back I'm going to put this in writing and send it to VNI's info e-mail address.

I'm not very hopeful that this will get me anywhere, but I figured it was worth a shot. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Gerry,
The only difference between the Std and Pro versions of IVF is IMSL 5.
Artur,
No performance difference between the Visual C++ editions as far as Fortran is concerned. If I recall correctly, the C++ compiler in the VC++ Standard Edition has optimization disabled, but that does not affect Fortran.
0 Kudos