Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Anonying crashes during debug

wu_internet
Beginner
I am using Microsoft Develop Studio Enterprise version 2003, together with very latest IVF 8.1.30. From time to time, when I started to debug, the studio crashes, I have to restart the studio. Without changing anything, I might be lucky to get into the debug. Such luck may need take some patient tries. Can not figure out what's wrong. Such problems has been haunting me since I moved to IVF.
Another question is anyone knows how to initiate the debug under Intel Debugger. Say I've got a GUI written in C++, a Fortan DLL. When I need to debug the Fortran code, how to initiate such debug under Intel debugger (either console or GUI). Anyone knows it, please give a hand, I've read through the manual, just can not quite understand yet.
Regards,
David
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Try deleting the .suo file in the solution folder. You may need to change the folder view to show hidden files.

If the DLL and the C++ executable are in the same solution, you don't need to do anything special to debug. If not, in the DLL project, go to the Debug property page and set the executable name to be the path to the executable to run.
0 Kudos
wu_internet
Beginner
Thanks Steve.
Regarding the question I am asking for the second one, I am sorry have not expressed more clearly. It is for the use of the alternative debugger provided by INTEL, say the INTEL Debugger, or INTEL Debugger(GUI) installed together with the IVF compiler. I assume that they areable to beused without the involvement of MS develop studio. The GUI and DLL are built separately (not within the same solution). I only need to debug the FORTRAN DLL part, however, I need to use the GUI(EXE) to initiate the start of the DLL, could you please tell me again how to start this debug, many thanks.
David.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'll defer to Gordon, our idb expert on this. I've asked him to respond.
0 Kudos
ol63
Beginner
Hi,
I was trying to delete the .suo file in the solution folder, but it's not working.
Is there some another solution about VS IDE crush?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't know that deleting the .suo will do anything useful. I suggest that for people having issues with the VS.NET debugger because the corresponding action in VS6, deleting the .opt file, did often help.

Again, if you have an issue with the debugger that you can reproduce at will, please submit a zip of your project/solution to Intel Premier Support so that we can investigate.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello. We saw a similar thing a while a go and we found that turning off Hyper-Threading (HT) in the BIOS made this random crash when debuggin disappear. The bug was due to some methods that was not thread safe, and I know that Intel's future version works very well with HT enabled. Best Reagrds, Lars Petter Endresen
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
David,
To use IDB as your debugger, for example, click on:
Start->All Programs->Intel Software Development Tools->Intel C++ Compiler 8.1->Intel Debugger 8.1->Intel Debugger
From the resulting command line, type load, followed by the path to your application binary (even if that happens to be your GUI). Once loaded, type bp main, and then run. Once the breakpoint hits, type listobj. This will show you which DLLs have been loaded. As long as your DLL of interest has been built with debugging symbols, you should be able to debug it simply by setting breakpoints in the functions of interest (by name).
There is a help command and a User's Manual that describes the command interface.
I hope that helps.
-- G
0 Kudos