Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Any info on IMSL 5?

rahzan
Novice
Is IMSL 5 included in any currently shipping version of IVF?

If not is that version anticipated in any future IVF release?

Tim
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is no such product as "IVF" at present.

No version of Intel Fortran released to date includes IMSL.

We hope to be able to offer IMSL 5 as an option for the Intel Visual Fortran product, but can't say with certainty right now whether or not that will happen. The portents are good, however. I have no clue at present what the pricing structure might be.

Steve
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
Steve:

The CVF->IFC upgrade offer appears to apply to all editions (standard/professional/enterprise) of CVF. If the 'combined compiler' IVF appears within 1 year of the March 31, 2003 deadline, will the licensed CVF edition ( standard/professional/enterprise) be matched by an equivalent IVF edition? In this, I'm enquiring about corresponding value, not price.

Ciao,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is no CVF-IFC upgrade - not now, anyway. If you're referring to the offer of a discount on Intel Fortran 7 for CVF customers, that is NOT an "upgrade" - we don't consider Intel Fortran 7 to be a new version of CVF.

I think I can say with certainty that the Compaq Enterprise Toolkit won't be a part of future Intel Fortran offerings. You can, of course, buy it from Compaq/HP.

It is much too soon to know what the specific upgrade strategy will be. We don't even know yet if there will be "editions". However, you do bring up an interesting issue that we need to think about...

Steve
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
> There is no CVF-IFC upgrade - not now, anyway. If
> you're referring to the offer of a discount on Intel
> Fortran 7 for CVF customers, that is NOT an "upgrade"
> - we don't consider Intel Fortran 7 to be a new
> version of CVF.
>

Toronto distributors Programmers Paradise and Softchoice refer to Intel Corp's MFG-SKU 245331- 7CVF6U as:

"Intel Fortran Compiler 7.0 for Windows Upgrade from Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6"

and

"INTEL FORTRAN COMPILER FOR WINDOWS v7.0 UPG FR/ 6.6 - 7.0 CD ROM",

respectively. You're right, it's not an upgrade.

Ciao,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, from Intel's perspective, it's a "competitive upgrade", but from the user's perspective, it isn't an upgrade. I know this confused a lot of users, and reasonably so.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I've got one copy of CVF pro and one copy of CVF standard. If I want to eventually get two copies of Intel Visual Fortran (pro, standard, or whatever it turns out to be) later this year, then I should buy two copies of IFC7 at the discounted price before March 31, correct?

Purchasers of IFC7 get free updates for a year. If Intel does come out with pro and standard versions of Intel Visual Fortran (with the pro version possibly including a copy of IMSL) within a year of my buying IFC7, then what will users like me receive?

To put it another way, I go from pro and standard copies of CVF, which I bought at different prices, to two equivalent copies of IFC7 that I would buy at the same price. If I want to end up with a copy of pro and standard Intel Visual Fortran (assuming that there will be pro and standard versions), then how will that happen?

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Mike,

I don't know the answer to your question. With CVF, we always charged more for Pro edition version upgrades than for Standard - I'd imagine that Intel would have to do the same if it were to go the separate edition route.

All I can say is that if you buy Intel Fortran now, you'll get any new versions of that product released within 12 months of purchase. We don't yet know how any extra-cost features such as IMSL will be handled - I've alerted product management to the issue and hope that we'll have an answer by mid-March at the latest.

Steve
0 Kudos