Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Application Distribution, side-by-side configuration is incorrect error

Bruce_Barker
Beginner

I have a VB-Net application that calls several FORTRAN dlls. The program runs fine on computers with the Intel compiler installed, but when running on computers without the compiler, the application crashes when the dll's are called. The error says: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side conjuration is incorrect"

The target computer is running Windows 7 and has a 64 bit intel processor, which is the same as the development computer.

I have the document Redistributing Application Binaries Built with 11.x Intel® Compiler Professional Editions for Microsoft Windows*. Per the directions in the document, I installed the redistributable library package for Intel 64 and ia32 on the target machine (from the Intel site). I also tried each redistributable package independently. I ran dependency Walker on the application and the dll and all of the dependencies are present on the target machine. I found from another post that Microsoft C++ redistributables must be installed  as well, which I did. I'm still getting the error.

Any help would be appreciated. 

PS, I tried doing this several years ago when we purchased the compiler but could never get it to work, so I went back to using my old trusty Compaq Fortran compiler from 1997. I figure it's time to bite the bullet and see if I can get the Intel compiler working  again. :)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Which DLLs have you placed in the folder that has the VB EXE? Are the DLLs built as a Release configuration?  A Debug build will not work.

Do the Fortran DLLs call other Fortran DLLs? If not, one way to solve the problem is to change the DLL project property Fortran > Libraries to "Multithread (/MT)" and rebuild. But more likely you have made an error in which DLLs you have put alongside the EXE. (If any msvcr*.dll file is there, remove it.)

0 Kudos
Bruce_Barker
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the quick response!

I tried recompiling the FORTRAN dlls using the Multithreaded option but still no luck. Also, the compile was performed using release mode. Listed below are the files in the installation directory. 

LRAP.exe is the application, GS*.dll is a third party graphics package, Syncfusion*.dll is a third party Net controls package. DFOR*.dll are the runtime libraries for Compaq Visual FORTRAN. The application currently has a mixture of Compaq and Intel DLLs, but if I can get this to work, I'll switch them all over to Intel. 

ComputeMonthlyMeans.dll

CreateDataFiles.dll

Dart.PowerWEB.LiveControls.dll

DFORMD.DLL

DFORRT.DLL

DistributionQuantiles.dll

Excel.dll

GSNetGif.dll

GSNetWin2005.dll

GSNetWizard2005.dll

ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll

LicenseProprietary.rtf

LMomentsAtSite.dll

LRAP.application

LRAP.exe

LRAP.exe.config

LRAP.exe.manifest

LRAP.pdb

LRAP.vshost.exe.config

LRAP.xml

lraphelp.chm

LRAPLicenseFile.txt

PlotStationData.dll

RegionalAnalysis.dll

ReleaseNotes.pdf

ScreenStats.dll

Seasonality.dll

Seasonality_Generic.dll

SelectStaRegions.dll

Syncfusion.Core.dll

Syncfusion.Grid.Base.dll

Syncfusion.Grid.Windows.dll

Syncfusion.Shared.Base.dll

Syncfusion.Shared.Windows.dll

Syncfusion.Tools.Base.dll

Syncfusion.Tools.Windows.dll

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you recompiled the Fortran DLLs using the Multithreaded (not Multithread DLL) option, then the error is not coming from the Fortran DLLs. Do you get this error as soon as the VB application starts, or does it not happen until it calls into one of the DLLs? If the latter, which one?

0 Kudos
Bruce_Barker
Beginner

Steve,

It's working now. It seems the trouble was caused by a silly mistake on my end. When I switched from debug to release, the dlls were written to a different folder. When I tested the installation, I was mistakenly installing dlls compiled in debug mode. Once I installed the release dlls, everything worked great. 

Thanks for your help and quick responses. The support on this site simply wonderful.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Glad to hear it. Now you can leave CVF behind.

0 Kudos