Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Application Error Compaq Visual Fortran Professional Edition 6.6.0

Haider__Abbas
Beginner

I am getting an Application Error with fortran console application on Windows 10 .  The error is a popup window that says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018). Click OK to close the application."  I receive no errors or warnings when i compile the code.

I used the same code one year ago on a different system with a similar operating system and it worked fine. but now it seems to show this error and the debug section shows following comments:

Loaded 'APP01.EXE', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'wow64_image_section', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
The thread 0x4124 has exited with code -1073741800 (0xC0000018).
The program 'C:\wrokdir\codes\faqiemodifiedload\Debug\Dyneii.exe' has exited with code -1073741800 (0xC0000018).

The code is very large and written in FORTRAN 77. Other small codes apart from this one that I built are working fine so this doesnt seem to be an error with the CVF 6.6.0 installation.

A similar problem was also reported in a post several years ago, but no solution was posted.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/402538#comment-1746318

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Haider__Abbas
Beginner

hi guys, considering that i will face problems continuing with CVF in future i decided to switch to IVF 2013 (using with Visual Studio 2010). 

I have fixed a number of errors to make the code working in this new compiler. thanks to your older posts Steve, they were helpful.

Now with all set after rebuilding the solution without receiving any errors or warnings, im unable to debug my code. the following error shown in attached image pops up as i try to debug.

I tried your suggestion Steve from this post but it doesnt works, im guessing the error in case is a different one. 

(https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/visual-studio-debugger-cannot-find-or-open-the-pdb-file)

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This has nothing to do with the debugger. The error you have is "The application was not able to start correctly". This is really the same issue you had with CVF - you've exceeded the 2GB static code and data limit. See if simply building as an x64 application resolves this - it may if enough Windows code moves out of the first 2GB, otherwise you'll have to make at least one big array ALLOCATABLE.

To create an x64 configuration, click on Build and then Configuration Manager. For Platform select New..., create an x64 configuration that inherits from Win32.

0 Kudos
Haider__Abbas
Beginner

Thank you Steve for showing patience. and thank you Jim, FortanFan and Andrew. 

your suggestion works Steve and im able to run the debugger finally after building as an x64 application.

though i still get a sort of warning about kernell32.dll, kindly have a look at the attachment and guide me if this is a concern or not

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That's not a warning - just an informational message saying that you don't have debug symbols for one of the Windows DLLs. This is normal.

0 Kudos