Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28711 Discussions

Asking for help:Internal compiler error

activedr
Beginner
I'm a new user of IVF, I used CVF6.6 before.
Recetly, I bulid a newproject and loaded all ".f" and relatedfiles to the project.
These files works all right when compliedin CVF6.6but in IVF, when I start debug, there's always an error, the build log is listed as follow:

Build Log

Build started: Project: *, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Output

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.0.0.104 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\\\\" /object:"Debug\\\\" /Fd"Debug\\vc100.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c /extfor:f /Qvc10 /Qlocation,link,"E:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\\\bin" "E:\\workspace\\*\\snow.f"

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

GEM_LO_GET_LOCATOR_INFO: zero locator value

E:\\workspace\\*\\snow.f: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: abort signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

compilation aborted for E:\\workspace\\*\\snow.f (code 1)

------

I searched the error on the internet but still can't solve it.

there's one information ,which may be useful to solve this problem is :
the pointer was point at the first line of the *.f :$FIXEDFORMLINESIZE:132

Does anyone know what's the problem?

Thank you for all!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
An internal compiler error means a compiler bug. Often, if you give us the source and the command you are using, we can suggest a workaround, but my first suggestion is to visit the Intel Registration Center and download Update 5, as you are using the original 12.0 release. We have fixed many issues since then. If the problem still exists when building with 12.0.5, then please attach a ZIP of the project and we'll be glad to take a look.
0 Kudos
jeremy_h
New Contributor I
I have seen internal compiler errors that I believe were not compiler bugs, as such. My memory is a bit hazy but I think it was related to mixing compilation artifacts between compiler versions. So, if there was a pdb or most anything left over from a previous compiler, sitting in a directory that the new compiler happens to search first, then you can provoke this error.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
While some sort of mismatch may indeed trigger an Internal Compiler Error (ICE), that doesn't mean it isn't a compiler bug. If there's a combination of things the compiler cannot accept, the correct response is a meaningful error message. An ICE generally means an attempt to fetch through a pointer that is null or garbage, or it has exhausted a list of possibilities when it was supposed to always match at least one. ICEs are usually, nowadays, triggered by using combinations of languge features in a way the developer did not think was possible.

In my opinion, an ICE, short of some catastrophic failure of the system the compiler is running on, is always a compiler bug, and we always want to know how to reproduce the issue so we can fix it.
0 Kudos