Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Behavior of debugger when exception is thrown

Gabriel_Toro
Beginner

Hi,

I seem to recall that in earlier versions (perhaps in the CVF days), one could examine the values of variables after an exception had occurred in the debugger. I have not been able to do this with current and recent versions of IVF. BTW, I am using Visual Studio 2013 shell and Intel Parallet Studio XE 2019.

Is this a change in the debugger's behavior?  Is this because the debugger is not configured properly?  

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I think you meant to say when the application throws and exception (the debugger itself ought not be throwing exceptions).

When an internal (e.g. C Runtime library, or MKL or, ???) throws an exception, the context is that at which point the exception is thrown. IOW, it may be necessary for you to look at the Stack Frame window in the debugger, crawl up the stack frame to the nearest piece of your code (built with debug information), then double click on that stack frame. Hopefully this will be in the caller of your code that (eventually) caused the exception.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos