Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

Bug regarding warnings about line truncation

Weser__Oskar
Beginner

I am working on a fixed format Fortran legacy program and found a bug regarding the warnings about line truncation.

If you compile the following program using:

ifort  -warn all,error source_truncation.f

program source_truncation                                                 
      integer :: i                                                              

* This comment exceed column 72 and does not lead to an error.  pewpepepwwepwepwe
      ! This comment exceeds column 72 and does lead to an error.  pewpepepwwepwe
      i = 1 + 2                                                                 
      write(*, *) i                                                             
      end program           

you will get an error only for the second comment.

It is a bit inconsistent, that a comment, as defined by a character in the first column, and a comment, as defined by exclamation marks, are treated differently.

The tested compilers are:

ifort (IFORT) 18.0.1 20171018

ifort (IFORT) 16.0.1 20151021

0 Kudos
0 Replies