Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26732 Discussions

C calls Fortran - CFI_deallocate returns Error Code 6

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

I am investigating the C++ and Fortarn inetroperability features. I was playing with the sample code (came with the Fortran compiler) which demonstrates C++ and Fortran interoperability. I included the following statements at the end of the CPP file:

irc1 = CFI_deallocate((CFI_cdesc_t *)&instring_desc);
irc2 = CFI_deallocate((CFI_cdesc_t *)&outstring_desc);
cout << "irc1=" << irc1;
cout << "irc2=" << irc2;

I get return codes 6 in both calls. You will recall that the Fortran descriptors were allocated with:

status = CFI_establish(...)

I have the following questions:

1) The sample code does not do it, but is it not good practice to do so (deallocate) to prevent memory leaks?

2) What is the difference between CFI_allocate and CF_establish?

3) I cannot find the error codes returned from CFI_allocate, CFI_establish, and CFI_deallocate. What does error code 6 mean?

Thanks for any clarification in advance,

I. Konuk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Yes, that's mostly correct. The part that isn't quite is your reference to CFI_CDESC_T(0) as a "call". It's a macro that expands to a struct declaration for a CFI_cdesc_t type with zero dimensions (a scalar). It only allocates space for the descriptor - nothing is filled in until you call CFI_establish.So it doesn't have the address of anything until CFI_establish.

The C interoperability features, especially the new ones in F2018, are among my favorites in the language.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steve_Lionel

All of the error codes are defined in ISO_Fortran_binding.h. Error 6 is CFI_INVALID_ATTRIBUTE - the reason you got this was that you attempted to deallocate a "CFI_attribute_other" (not allocatable or pointer) entity.

CFI_establish fills in a C descriptor so that it describes some bit of storage. In the C_Calls_Fortran example, this is done for the char variables instring and outstring, both of which have storage created by the C main program, not through a Fortran allocation, so it is inappropriate to deallocate them.

You need to use CFI_establish if you construct the descriptor in C code. If the thing was passed to you from Fortran (where the standard specifies the use of a C descriptor), then Fortran has already done this work.

CFI_allocate is the equivalent of a Fortran ALLOCATE, and is to be used only on a C descriptor that describes an allocatable or pointer variable (has attributes CFI_attribute_allocatable or CFI_attribute_pointer). CFI_deallocate is the Fortran DEALLOCATE operation. You are required to use these in C code if you want to allocate or deallocate a Fortran allocatable/pointer variable - no malloc/free allowed!

It would be good practice to deallocate variables that were allocated before the program exits, but CFI_deallocate should be used only on C descriptors for allocatable/pointer.

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

Steve:

Thank you very much for a thorough explanation. In order to make sure I understand this correctly, i will restate my understanding: CFI_establish simply fills in the C descriptors in the C structure "instring_desc" created/allocated by the call:

CFI_CDESC_T(0) instring_desc, outstring_desc; // Ignore warning for zero-sized array

After this call, "instring_desc" contains the descriptor information/data along with the address of:

char instring[40];

and therefore its is declared CFI_type_char in the "CFI_establish" call.

I. Konuk

Ibrahim_K_
New Contributor I

I found a very detailed document written by Reinhold Bader of Leibniz Supercomputing Center titled "Extended interoperation with C". It more or less confirms my understanding.

Thank you again very much.

I. Konuk

Steve_Lionel

Yes, that's mostly correct. The part that isn't quite is your reference to CFI_CDESC_T(0) as a "call". It's a macro that expands to a struct declaration for a CFI_cdesc_t type with zero dimensions (a scalar). It only allocates space for the descriptor - nothing is filled in until you call CFI_establish.So it doesn't have the address of anything until CFI_establish.

The C interoperability features, especially the new ones in F2018, are among my favorites in the language.

View solution in original post