Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28592 Discussions

CVF compatible upgrade and stack usage

tihomir
Beginner
Hmm, I guess that's a bad news. The current Intel Fortran 7.1 is not fully compatible with CVF 6.6. In June you posted on your web site that there will be a product by the end of 2003 that will be fully (more)compatible. I am not sure what else I need to say.
Here is a second question that I have for CVF. Operations like
a=transpose(a)
a=matmul(b,c)
require stack size of the size of a, and it crashes if the stack is smaller than a. This makes it hard for us to make stable products that we can give to third party. I think what Fortran should do is check that the stack size is sufficient, and if it's not sufficient it should brake the operations into smaller pieces that can fit on the stack. It doesn't look so hard, at least from my point of view. What do you think?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I guess this was meant to be a reply to your other thread - there's a forum bug where if you click reply when not logged in, it creates a new topic instead, and I can't yet merge threads...
Ok, you're asking when Intel Visual Fortran is to be released. It is not yet the end of the year, is it? Check back next Tuesday...
Regarding array temporaries, it is actually quite difficult and time consuming to "check the stack". What the compiler could do instead is (optionally) use the heap for array temporaries. This would be a bit slower, but would have the advantage of not requiring as much worrying about the stack size. It is something we are looking at for the future.

Message Edited by MADsblionel on 12-05-2003 08:26 AM

0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

The January 2004 issue of the Programmer's Paradise catalog, pp. 18-19, has an interview with Jon Khazam of Intel about the release of IVF 8.

His answer to the third question included that IVF will have a "Fortran Module Wizard that generates Fortran interfaces to COM and .NET services." I thought that the wizard for COM wouldn't be included in the first release of IVF.

In response to a question about what level of support will be provided, Jon also mentioned that this forum is available to the public and that many users "find these forums invaluable in getting assistance with programming questions." The way he worded it kind of makes it sound like the forum is a free service for anyone to ask programming questions, while I thought that it was supposed to be reserved for questions relating to CVF and IVF.

As I flipped further through the catalog, I spotted an Intel ad on p. 63 saying that IVF 8 is available now, complete with pricing. Page 66 has an ad for CVF. Is this premature?

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Jon was correct. Intel Visual Fortran includes the Module Wizard, which generates interfaces to COM/OLE/.NET objects. What it does not include is the COM Server Wizard from CVF Pro, which lets you write a COM server in Fortran. However, if you are already using the COM Server Wizard in CVF, you should be able to just recompile the code in Intel Visual Fortran, as all the underlying support is there. Just the wizard is missing.
If you'll look at the list of forums, you'll see lots of them, and new ones are being added all the time. Primarily, these are for users of Intel products, but if someone wants to come in here and ask a Fortran programming question, we're not going to check serial numbers at the door.We don't expect to get a lot of, say, Lahey Fortran users in here.
The announcement of the 8.0 compilers is happening today, but I'm not supposed to post details until the Intel web site goes live with the new data. This should happen at around 11AM Pacific Time.
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice

You must be right; I just received an e-mailmessage that "Intel Fortran Compiler8.0" (not Intel Visual Fortran) is available for download, and that must be because I purchased IVF 7 through the special discount offer for CVF customers earlier this year. Unfortunately, I can't look at the link in the message because I forgot my Intel premier support account password yet again. Geez, I hate having one account for this forum and another for support.

I'm curious what version of the compiler I can download, standard or pro, but I guess I should wait for the official announcement to get more information.

Mike D.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Only the Standard Edition is available at this time. The Pro edition, with IMSL 5, should be available in the first quarter of 2004. However, due to requirements placed on us by Visual Numerics, we won't be able to offer a "Standard to Pro" upgrade. If you have the Standard and want IMSL, you'll have to buy IMSL directly from VNI. There will be a limited-time upgrade from CVF Pro to IVF Pro (sigh, I guess I can't avoid using those initials...)
0 Kudos