Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

CVF with Windows 7

kaffee46
Beginner
Hi Guys,

yesterday i bought a new notebook with Windows 7. Today i tried to install CVF 6.5, unfortunately it does not work
because of the new Windows 7.

Does anybody has any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot
Marco
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
"does not work" means what, exactly?

If your new notebook is running the 64-bit version of Windows, run the setup.exe in the "X86" subfolder of the CVF installer. Be sure to start Developer Studio "as administrator".
0 Kudos
kaffee46
Beginner
First i was not able to run the installation. With the subfolder X86 i was able to install the CVF!

Even if i try to run the Developer Studio as a administrator, it does not work...any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Again, "does not work" means what? What is the symptom or error message?
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner
Quoting - kaffee46
Hi Guys,

yesterday i bought a new notebook with Windows 7. Today i tried to install CVF 6.5, unfortunately it does not work

Thanks a lot
Marco

I haven't tried thisyet ...
In principle, W 7 will run XP apps like DevStudio (CV++ 6 IDE) if you have the XPM (virtualpc, a Microsoft download) installed and your processor is VT capable. It also depends on the version of W 7 installed.

ps Check to see if your DVD is BlueRay capable and if it isn't and your new notebook is missing VT and your W 7 version isn't up to the mark, try taking it back for exchange because it lacks thesefeatures.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I just tried CVF on Windows 7 x64 and could not get it to work. Developer Studio died if I did much of anything. No amount of "compatibility" settings I could find worked. Gerry's idea of XP Mode is good, if your PC and Windows edition supports it (Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate only.)
0 Kudos
jessicad
Beginner
Quoting - kaffee46
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot
Marco

Sorry about that. I hit the add comment button too quickly.

Kaffee46,

Have you attempted to install the application under compatibility mode? To learn more about application compatibility and to get your questions answered on the most common challenges around application compatibility when coming from a legacy operating system, why changes were made along the way, compatibility technologies inside the OS and methods for getting incompatible applications to run on Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd981014.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
jessicad, I didn't see any new text in your reply. When replying, be sure to type outside the gray quote box.
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner
Quoting - g.f.thomas

In principle, W 7 will run XP apps like DevStudio (CV++ 6 IDE) if you have the XPM (virtualpc, a Microsoft download) installed and your processor is VT capable. It also depends on the version of W 7 installed.

ps Check to see if your DVD is BlueRay capable and if it isn't and your new notebook is missing VT and your W 7 version isn't up to the mark, try taking it back for exchange because it lacks thesefeatures.

This morning I seriallyinstalled VMware Workstation and Sun's VirtualBox. VMWare set up a XP host, well sort of, it functions in a fashion but not as it should. Their Help is not very helpful, and seems to have been written by someone with a less than deep familiarity with the product. In contrast, VirtualBox installed XP without any problems and its clearly written manual without the clutter of plumbing mumbo jumbo was most useful. VirtualBox is free for noncommercial use - even within the firm - whereas VMware costs ~ $200/seat. Both VM's use VT-x if its there and on (via BIOS), a requirement with Microsoft's XPM. As I found with Vista, it may be better to dual boot W 7 as VM's can be problematic and annoying no matter their pedigree.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What I like about the Windows 7 "XP Mode" is that you can "export" applications to the Win7 environment so that you can't really tell that they're running in a VM.
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner
What I like about the Windows 7 "XP Mode" is that you can "export" applications to the Win7 environment so that you can't really tell that they're running in a VM.

I haven`t tried this yet but I intend to. Both VMware and VirtualBox have serious problems accessing Windows 7 non-virtual devices like USB`s, CD`s, etc. which I dare sayXPM has taken care of although I`m sure I`ll get to find out.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have tried this and it works for me. The additional bonus is that Microsoft provides you with the XP SP3 image without you being required to locate a licensed copy on your own.
0 Kudos
Wee_Beng_T_
Beginner

I have tried this and it works for me. The additional bonus is that Microsoft provides you with the XP SP3 image without you being required to locate a licensed copy on your own.

Hi,

so following this thread, can I confirm that there's no way yet to run CVF natively on windows 7? I'm talking abt the 32bit version.

thanks alot!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I have not yet tried the 32-bit version.
0 Kudos
rase
New Contributor I
I was able to install CVF on a 32 bit Windows 7 by clicking "Open as an administrator" on the setup files. When executing CVF I got the message that CVF/VS6 has known incompatiblities with Windows 7. After four or five project builds with CVF Visual Studio stopped working at all. I was tired to look for the reason and gave up. I have to admit that it's time now to send CVF to retirement although I will definitely miss the source browser.
0 Kudos
iomega15
Beginner

I have not yet tried the 32-bit version.

Here are crash details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DFDEV.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.8168.2
Application Timestamp: 3588a2f7
Fault Module Name: devdbg.pkg
Fault Module Version: 6.0.8168.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 3588a3ab
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0001c2d0
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.11
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:Windowssystem32en-USerofflps.txt

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
That's Microsoft Developer Studio crashing - DFDEV is just a small jacket around MSDEV. There's nothing that can be gleaned from this. My advice is to put CVF on the shelf and move on to IVF. Or, run CVF in the Virtual XP mode.
0 Kudos
jswaugh
Beginner
Quoting - g.f.thomas

I tried CVF 6.5 in Win 7 XP mode, as Steve Lionel suggests. Doesn't work.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
CVF 6.6 appears to be running OK from CVF command prompt window in win7-64 on Core i7.
Installed a 2nd copy under XPM, which is needed for developer studio.
0 Kudos
fgdynamics
Beginner
Steve
I had the same issue and error message but was able to eliminate this error message by selecting WIN98 as the comapability option instead of XP2.

I am now running CVF 6.1.1 on a WIN 7 PRO machine

fgdynamics
0 Kudos