Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Calculate Median Value for Real number

uddin__md
Beginner

I wrote a program for the calculate the media value of real numbers. Program calculate the median value, but the calculated median value does not similar to excel or spss calculated median value. The excel gave median value 27.21 for the input data, but the program gave 29.45 for same input data. I also tried using integer or other data set the program also gave different median value from others.

Please give a solution How can I solve this issues. Many thanks for your support. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
   REAL, DIMENSION(0:100)			:: X
   INTEGER                          :: N
   INTEGER                          :: IOstatus
   INTEGER                          :: i
   OPEN(1,FILE ='DATA07.DAT', STATUS = 'OLD') 
   DO
      READ(1,*,IOSTAT=IOstatus) N, (X(i), i = 1, N)

I was noting the array X start at x(0) through to x(100) , that is 101 elements but in your loop you have i = 1, n that is i does not start at zero.  Was that what you intended? X(0) is not set.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
IF (MOD(N,2) == 0) THEN           ! compute the median
         Median = (Temp(N/2) + Temp(N/2+1)) / 2.0
      ELSE
         Median = Temp(N/2+1)
      END IF

At a guess and I do not do median -- these are wrong -- you are probably missing a bra and a ket as we say in Pure Math - could be wrong 

0 Kudos
uddin__md
Beginner

@JohnNichols  Previously I used this format, then I changed it. But Both format output was given similar errors. Many thanks and looking further solution 

0 Kudos
John_Campbell
New Contributor II

Shouldn't the median value be an element of the set of values, unlike the average ?

You could choose either possibility when the count is even.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Not necessarily, the definition at Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median, includes the average of two numbers in the sequence, f you have an even amount of data.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I didn't study the program much but I noted that your array is zero based but all your loops look at elements 1 to N rather than 0 to n-1 is that your problem?

0 Kudos
uddin__md
Beginner

@andrew_4619  Your explanation may not clear. Many thanks for your reply. If you have more energy please give me a solution

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This looks to me like a class work assignment. If so, you should not be asking others to do your work for you.

0 Kudos
uddin__md
Beginner

@Steve_Lionel  Dear Steve,  this is not class work. I try to write a program for WQI model. That is a another part of my module. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Ok - the code you had and the problem reminded me of class assignments.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
   REAL, DIMENSION(0:100)			:: X
   INTEGER                          :: N
   INTEGER                          :: IOstatus
   INTEGER                          :: i
   OPEN(1,FILE ='DATA07.DAT', STATUS = 'OLD') 
   DO
      READ(1,*,IOSTAT=IOstatus) N, (X(i), i = 1, N)

I was noting the array X start at x(0) through to x(100) , that is 101 elements but in your loop you have i = 1, n that is i does not start at zero.  Was that what you intended? X(0) is not set.

0 Kudos
uddin__md
Beginner

@andrew_4619  Many thanks for your feedback. I solved this problem with array size correction.

0 Kudos