Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28457 Discussions

Can dummy arguments of a DLL be seen?

sabalan
New Contributor I
Is there any way for my customer of a DLL (built in CVF) to see or discover how the call statement and dummy arguments (over 30) look like to write his own code to call my DLL? If yes, is there any way to prevent this?

Sabalan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III
Quoting - sabalan
Is there any way for my customer of a DLL (built in CVF) to see or discover how the call statement and dummy arguments (over 30) look like to write his own code to call my DLL? If yes, is there any way to prevent this?

Sabalan

The best way is to prevent the dll from being loaded by any program except your own. I'm not sure how to do this, but I would guess you would have to do something in DLLMain to test for a key that only you know.

A method involving more work is to add, inside each routine in your dll,a function call to test the contents of a registry key (it could be encrypted) that your own calling program initialises and sets. If the key is not found, just return without doing anything,putting up a message box to that effect, with a warning,and probably crashing the calling program, or execute a STOP, with a warning message box.
0 Kudos