Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Cannot properly install parallel studio 2018

WSinc
New Contributor I

Your software page with VS 2015,

Update 3 says "with VS 2015 shell" so I thought I would try that.

But then it told me I could not install the VS shell because I either have a later version (which I dont),

or dont have SDK 10.0 for windows. I uninstalled the VS 2015 I had before,

because I could not get it to work.

But I thought this included VS 2015 SHELL would possibly work.

How do I check for that SDK? I have working versions of VS, that are much earlier,

that I have rely upon for source code development.

BTW, I am using a student license for this, since I am attending Harbor College in L A.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The VS2015 shell is available for users with commercial and academic licenses for Parallel Studio, as you can read from https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-fortran-compiler-18.0-for-windows-parallel-studio-xe-2018 . The implication is that with a student license you have to provide a separately obtained VS edition as listed in that page, or be satisfied with command line development.

From your previous thread ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/796343 ), I learned that you have Intel Fortran 2013 SP1 installed and it is functioning with a compatible, if older, version of Visual Studio. How badly do you need Fortran 2008 features in your work? If you don't need them at all, why not declare victory and be content with using 2013 SP1, instead of slugging it out in the Visual Studio trenches?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, at some point I would like to upgrade to a more modern Visual studio with an updated compiler.

I thought that the VS2018 update 3 might do the trick.

since I am enrolled in a college, I was using an academic license (I thought).

I was hoping to find something that actually works. Maybe that's a year from now ?

I see all these issues people are having with what Intel is putting out now. So, who knows ?

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Trust me, the Intel folks are on the case.  They are unit testing a fix for the problems which ensued when Microsoft VS changed their debugger.  I know it is difficult to deal with, but a little patience will do the trick.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Regarding the SDK, the installer should have given you a link about that. https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2015shell-windowssdk

I suggest that you bookmark https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-composer-xe-information-and-frequently-asked-questions as it answers many of the questions you have asked here.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I have read all your articles, but I still cannot get a satisfactory install of the software.

Its like - - my car breaks down, and I call a mechanic and he says:

"READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL "

If I have left out an important step, I sure don't know what it is.

In my last setup of VS 2015, I was able to compile both C++ and Fortran source codes.

But I could not LINK the EXE when I had Fortran in the build step. It fails there.

I will read the articles again, though.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I saw a "GOTCHA" when I read about the Windows 10 SDK

in the first paragraph of that article

It says that I have to have VS 2017. Well, I didnt want that because

it has the Fortran source interface problem.

I wanted to use the VS 2015 shell, which apparently will not work.

It looks like it is contradicting itself ? ?

If I have to have VS 2017, what is the point of having the VS2015 shell?

anyway, it appears I am "dead in the water" for now.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The text of the article I linked to does not mention VS2017 at all.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

This is the article:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Is this article not apropos ? I think it has a later creation date than yours,

Thats why i referred to it. I think it refers to a newer creation of the SDK software.

It refers to version 1809, so would that be the latest version ?

Boy, this is sure confusing - - -

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

That "1809" is the Windows 10 release version, supposedly the October 10 (we are a couple of days before that!) release. You probably have 1803 or earlier. The "winver" command will tell you the version that you have, or you can look at Settings-System-About-Windows specifications.

Do not install version 1809, which Microsoft has pulled because of some serious problems; see https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-update-version-1809/ . A description of the problems is available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history .

I am running Intel Fortran 18.0.3 with Visual Studio 15 community edition on Windows 10-64 Home Edition, Release 1803. The Windows 10 SDK was installed by the VS+Parallel Studio installation after I assented. I did not have to do a separate download/install for the SDK.

You can, if necessary, download the Windows 10, Release 1803 SDK from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive . The second set on that page is probably what you need.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

You're right, I have 1803.

I have to be really careful, though about installing something that might screw up 

the somewhat ancient VS software I have running now.

But at least it WORKS - hoooooooooooooooooo  rah !

I will take a careful look at your suggestion.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

One can install SDKs on earlier versions of Windows, as far back as Windows 7. I will note that the Microsoft article does NOT say that VS2017 is required, only that if you have it running you should exit before installing.

I suggest slowing down when you read.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

This is a direct quote from that article, the first paragraph.

=====================================================================================

The Windows 10 SDK for Windows 10, version 1809 provides the latest headers, libraries, metadata, and tools for building Windows 10 apps.

Note: Windows 10 development targeting Windows 10, version 1809 (or later) requires Visual Studio 2017. This SDK will not be discovered by previous versions of Visual Studio.

===============================================================

I'm not as stupid as you think - - - 

anyway, this 1809 version was pulled OFF because it had so many problems, according to a response I got from Intel.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

BTW, there is a minor BUG in the website, that someone might wish to examine.

If I am not logged in, the quote numbers get COVERED UP by the remark

"please log in to post comments" That appears at the top right of each quote.

Its just a minor annoyance, but sometimes it makes it difficult to see which quote number is which.

Once someone logs in, then you can see the quote numbers - then the remark says "Edit etc etc"

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You are not targeting Windows 10 specifically. If you kept reading you would see that the system requirements don't mention Visual Studio.

But you have also said that you have a Student license, which does not include the VS Shell environment, so none of that matters.

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

" this 1809 version was pulled OFF because it had so many problems, according to a response I got from Intel."

If you are referring to the post from mecej4, that is not from Intel.  Perhaps you haven't realised that this forum is open to anybody.  Occasionally Intel people post here, but most of the contributors are not attached to Intel.  People offering help here do so purely voluntarily.  I might add that they are an exceptionally patient and courteous bunch, especially in comparison with those who inhabit some of the C++ sites I've visited.

0 Kudos