Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Cannot run a simple coarray program with XE 17 Update 4

OP1
New Contributor II

I am having difficulties running any coarray code with XE 17 Update 4 Cluster Edition, including the following code below:

PROGRAM P
IMPLICIT NONE
WRITE(*,*) 'Hi!'
END PROGRAM P

The code is built with Visual Studio 2013, and XE 17 Update 4 Cluster Edition; the code is built as 64-bit executable, the only particular compiler flag is the Qcoarray option.

This worked without issues with Update 2. So, to avoid any conflict between old/new libraries I removed both Intel products and Visual Studio; then reinstalled VS first, followed by XE 17 U4. The problem was still there.

I can see in the task manager that there are (as expected) multiple copies of the code being launched; but it then hangs and does not do anything.

I have the same issue when I build from the command line, using the provided Intel environment shortcuts.

Where should I look next to troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

I could reproduce the error using 17.0 update 4. There was a similar issue reported in 17.0 update 1 https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/703331 but it has been fixed since 17.0 update 2. 

Can you check if the right version of  impimt.dll is referenced by your code?

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

I am glad to hear that you can reproduce the issue. Using the workaround suggested by Martyn (setting I_MPI_COLL_INTRANODE=pt2pt) I can make this work.

This being said, a bunch of expletives is probably the first thing that comes to my mind at this point - but I will try to keep this thread civilized. Come on, Intel! Given how simple the reproducer is, and the fact that the problem already occurred in a recent update, this raises some questions regarding how serious you are with your quality control.

0 Kudos
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

OP wrote:

I am glad to hear that you can reproduce the issue. Using the workaround suggested by Martyn (setting I_MPI_COLL_INTRANODE=pt2pt) I can make this work.

This being said, a bunch of expletives is probably the first thing that comes to my mind at this point - but I will try to keep this thread civilized. Come on, Intel! Given how simple the reproducer is, and the fact that the problem already occurred in a recent update, this raises some questions regarding how serious you are with your quality control.

I am sorry that it is a typo in my last reply. In fact I couldn't reproduce the error using 17.0 update 4. If the workaround can work for you it may be the same issue. Would you please check if the right version of impimt.dll is referenced by your code?

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

Doing a search for impimt.dll on my machine, I obtain the following locations (I added the date found in their digital signature):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\mpirt (Sunday, September 11, 2016)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\mpirt (Wednesday, April 05, 2017)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.4.210\windows\redist\ia32_win\mpirt (Sunday, September 11, 2016)
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.4.210\windows\mpi\intel64\bin (Wednesday, April 05, 2017)

This is after a clean installation where I wiped out all previous versions of the Intel compiler.

My environment variables:

• I_MPI_ROOT = C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.4.210\windows\mpi
  • IFORT_COMPILER17 = C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.4.210\windows\
  • INTEL_DEV_REDIST = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\

Is there a reason for the mixed dates for the 64-bit/32-bit versions of the impimt.dll?

0 Kudos
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

The build date of those dll files are correct for 17.0 update 4. I am still trying to reproduce the error on my system. Which OS are you using?

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

This is Windows 7, 64-bit.

This morning I reinstalled again the compiler after having removed all Intel development tools. Same problem.

The code will run correctly for a 32-bit (release or debug) configuration, launched from Visual Studio 2013 (with the /Qcoarray flag). However, when I create a 64-bit configuration, the code (also launched from VS 2013) just hangs after being launched.

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

Here is something else that came up after a bunch of new tests - this may help point in the right direction:

I can run the code with up to 15 coarray images, either from within VS Studio; or in a command window with mpiexec. But beyond this number of images, the code hangs indefinitely. My machine has two E5-2620v4 processors (thus, 16 physical cores / 32 logical cores).

0 Kudos
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

OP wrote:

Here is something else that came up after a bunch of new tests - this may help point in the right direction:

I can run the code with up to 15 coarray images, either from within VS Studio; or in a command window with mpiexec. But beyond this number of images, the code hangs indefinitely. My machine has two E5-2620v4 processors (thus, 16 physical cores / 32 logical cores).

I have reproduced the error and escalated it MPI team for fixing. The bug ID is MPI-2889

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos